Access a printer via a router?

Pine Man 13:24 27 Oct 14
Answered

I have an iMac and a PC both connected to a Sky router with an Ethernet cable. I have a Canon MG8250 multifunction printer, which, at the moment, is connected to the iMac with a USB cable.

I would like the printer to be capable of being used by both computers and, rather than use WIFI, I would like, if possible, a wired connection. The printer has an Ethernet socket and I wondered if I could connect the printer to the Sky router and then either computer could access it via that router.

Any thoughts?

Ian in Northampton 13:29 27 Oct 14

The fact that the printer has an Ethernet socket would seem to indicate that what you want to do should be possible. If you have a spare cable knocking about, it's got to be worth a try.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 27 Oct 14
Answer

attach your printer via ethernet cable to your router.

The router will (if it's half decent like a netgear model) will be DHCP enabled and will issue an IP address when the printer is connected.

Go into the router config pages via a web browser to double check the IP its assigned. Defualt IP address for therouter wil be included with your documentation or a quick goole will reveal it; usually something like 192.168.1.1.

When you can see when IP address the printer has been assinged, go to your windows start menu, navigate to settings, printers & faxes, File, add a new printer, add a network printer and 'connect to this printer' type \the.IP.Address.issued by router , ie \192.168.1.x. You may even be able to browse for it.

I expect the setup for a printer with the MAc will be similar.

Pine Man 16:00 27 Oct 14

Brilliant Fruit Bat ^0^.

Thanks very much indeed. Works a treat!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced