access network drives

silliw 22:08 31 Jan 03

i have just networked my laptop (XP pro) with my desktop (XP Pro) using a crossover. I can access the web using the shared connection and I can see the shared drives on both machines. When I try to access these shared drives I am told that I dont have permission and to refer to the server administartor.

I cannot see how to add user permissions to these drives. there is no security tab or permissions tabs on the properties of any of these drives.

I have tried admin tools computer management but still cannot see how to assign rights.

Similarily I cannot get access to the shared printer setup on the dektop.

Can anyone please help

BBez 22:12 31 Jan 03

create a user account & password on the desktop PC that refers to the logon on your laptop and you should be sound. eg. if you logon as "Mine" with a pass as "pass" then create an account on the Desktop with the same A/C & password

silliw 22:32 31 Jan 03

there are only 2 users on both the laptop and the desktop. usernames, passwords and user types (administrators) are the same on both - but still not able to access shared resources.

AndySD 23:22 31 Jan 03

click here and have a look.

silliw 13:24 03 Feb 03

As with most IT problems, if you persist you will find the answer. Have now got full access although I dont know how I've done it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…