Access to Mysql

harristweed 08:47 23 Sep 03

I'm about to start a web site for an estate agency in Spain. They hold details of all their properties on an Access database. (actually 4 databases as they have 4 offices).

The web host is Apache on Linux servers with mysql as the database.

I think I will extract the data from Access in to a text file and import it in to mysql, using a passworded page with a PHP script.

The property pages will then be dynamically generated.

If anyone has had any experience of taking data from Access in to mysql I would be glad of any tips or pointers.

Please don't suggest ASP because I don't know it and the host doesn't support ODBC.

Taran 11:59 23 Sep 03

There are several applications that can do the bulk of the work for you if you have a mind to use them. Some are expensive (one or two are even worth their asking price) while others are share or freeware.

Use this as your search field in Google:

"access to mysql"

Some of the output results are superb, some of them not so good and it very much depends on how far you want to go without rolling your sleeves up.

PHPMyAdmin can help you input or output to and form CSV files, and you can also use it to easily set up your database, tables, fields, username and password and so on. If you've never used it before you need a working local web server (Windows IIS or Apache is fine) and you also obviously need MySQL and PHP installed and correctly configured to your web server software.

The MySQL site has a good overview of the necessary process involved for importing from CSV and similar.

Try this link:

click here

Another possibly useful link:

click here

Finally, you don't say whether you're developing on Windows (I assume you are) but if you're coding on Linux, you'd have to go a long way to find something better than EMS MySQL Export;

click here

Taran 12:02 23 Sep 03

Although you say that you don't use ASP and the host does not support it, there is much to recommend an Access database on your web server that can be easily mirrored on a local copy.

Once set up, it's fast, secure, works like a charm and saves getting mixed up in cross platform import/export issues.

I know you said don't mention ASP, but...

Regards

Taran

harristweed 14:11 23 Sep 03

many thanks for your help - i'll keep you posted as to my progress

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…