Access - finding duplicates

JoJoh 18:40 16 Nov 04

Hi
I have a list of customers names and addresses in an access database. I need to find a way of ensuring that there are no duplicates. Each first name,second name etc is in a separate column. I know how to run a find duplicate query however I only seem to be able to apply this to one column. This is not appropriate as some customers are likely to have the same first or second names.
Is there a way of finding duplicates over 2 columns? i.e first and second names

AccessMoron 17:36 17 Nov 04

create a compound query that concaternates first and last names, then serach for duplicates on that one

BigMoFoT 18:05 17 Nov 04

Surely the idea of a databse is not to allow any duplicate records based on a set of unique keys.....

JoJoh 18:16 17 Nov 04

Thanks for your replies. Re: "create a compound query that concaternates first and last names, then serach for duplicates on that one" I do not understand how to do this.

Regarding the second reply, this was not at all useful.I thought that the idea of this forum was to help. All of the data came from an Excel spreadsheet.The person who compiled it in error did duplicate some details. I did not want to set the first name column to "no duplicates" as it would stop a lot of people with the same name from being pasted.

AccessMoron 17:07 19 Nov 04

SELECT [mySurname] & [myFirstName] AS FullName FROM MyTableName

JoJoh 17:31 19 Nov 04

AccessMoron

Sorry but I don't understand. I need to find duplicates for first name and surname. I can then go through them individually to make sure that they are at the same address

JoJoh 17:31 19 Nov 04

AccessMoron

Sorry but I don't understand. I need to find duplicates for first name and surname. I can then go through them individually to make sure that they are at the same address

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…