Access files received as an attachment

imanangel 20:25 19 May 09

Hi, I really need some help, I had a word document emailed to me and i opened it, changed some of the text, saved it and closed the window, but now i can't find it anywhere on my computer. I'm using windows vista home premium, and i need this work as soon as possible!!

thankyou for any help you can give me

interzone55 20:32 19 May 09

It'll be saved in one of Windows temporary folders.
Do you remember the name of the file?
Type the name in the search box at the bottom of the start menu & let Windows find the file.

For reference, when you receive a file by email that needs some work, make sure you choose the Save As option then save it to your desktop or Documents folder, if you just choose save Office will dump it in one of the many Temp folders...

imanangel 20:35 19 May 09

I tried but it says its not there, im really useless with computers so i have no idea where to start looking. is there any other way to get to it, it was one of the last documents i had opened if that helps?

thanks for your quick reply!

Zaphod 3 20:37 19 May 09

If you opened it from the e-mail, have you tried reopening the attachment?

imanangel 20:39 19 May 09

yeah but its a different version, i've just spent 2 hours changing it all, and i dont have time to do it again, i really need to find the newer version

thanks again

OTT_Buzzard 20:44 19 May 09

Could try a file find with criteria of anything modified or created in the relevant time frame (Windows key + F)

It will kick up a long list, but should be managable.

Zaphod 3 20:46 19 May 09

Easiest way, is to open the attachment again then click save as, DO NOT THEN CLICK OK but have a look at the file path that will show you where it is.

imanangel 20:49 19 May 09

the windows key and f takes me to a search engine online, and when i followed the file path it didn't have any matches. ive definitely saved it as well

thanks again!!

DieSse 22:28 19 May 09

If you saved it back to a temporary folder, then it may have been erased.

It may also be that you need to change the Explorer view properties, to allow you to see hidden files - you do that in Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View. And tick the appropriate boxes. Then look for the file again.

phono 23:41 19 May 09

Have you looked in recent items?

Click start and select from the recent items menu option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009