Access denied to networked computer. WinXp

JAS100 08:37 25 Sep 05

I am running Windows Xp Home on two computers. I have them networked together. Although I have access to computer1 from the computer2, when I try to access computer2 from computer1 I get the message '\\computer2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access denied'. I have administrator rights over both computers. How do I access computer 2 from computer1?
regards
John Serenyi

mgmcc 09:25 25 Sep 05

The message is a generic one that Windows regurgitates whenever there is problem accessing one PC from another, so it isn't very helpful.

Make sure you have at least one folder set as "shared" in the PC you are trying to access. By default, File/Printer sharing is disabled in XP but is enabled when you set a folder as "shared". Make sure that any firewall software is configured to allow access to networked PCs by entering their IP addresses in its "trusted" area.

You may have to have a User Account in the remote PC which has an identical Username/Password as that you have logged in to the local PC with. This normally applies to XP Professional, but may still be necessary. This is discussed in detail at click here

barney1234568910 11:54 25 Sep 05

you could use IP addresses. On computer 2 get the Ip address, this can be done in command prompt by typing ipconfig. Then on computer 1 type in \\(ip address) in the address bar. when i do this i type in \\192.168.1.67

Ken H Lamb 13:06 25 Sep 05

I have the same problem as Jas so the solution my help us both. I get the same message Home-Office is not accessable etc .... The network path was not found. (Home - Office) is my desktop computer which I can not access from my laptop. When I look in event viewer I get differing messages they are The IP address 192.168.2.182 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0.
The other message that I get is The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer Home-Office that belives it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_ (75722FB4-CABF-42). The master browser is stopping or an action is being forced.
I have disabeled the firewalls on both machines without success. My laptop uses Windows XP Home edition and my desktop Windows XP Professional.

Any help would be appreciated since I am at my wits end trying to sort the network out.

Ken

mgmcc 15:09 25 Sep 05

Ken,

I think we need to go back to the beginning. How are the two computers networked:

- directly "Network Adapter to Network Adapter" via a crossover cable?

- via a network hub/switch?

- if either of these, are you using Internet Connection Sharing with a "Host" PC?

- via a broadband router?

Are the two PCs in the same "Workgroup" and, in the case of XP Pro, it has to be a member of a Workgroup, not a Domain?

Can each PC 'ping' the other's IP address?

Ken H Lamb 16:38 25 Sep 05

Hi MGMCC
The two computers Laptop and Desktop are connected via a US Robotics 5462 wireless router, no probs the desktop accessing the shared files, printer etc on the Laptop but the error messages are on the Laptop which cannot connect to the desktop shared files, folders printer etc. The two PCs are in the same "workgroup". Yes they both "ping" out OK. I have been trying to hack this problem for the passed two months. US Robotics techies have given up on advice/solution so I am relieing on your good selves for the solution.

Ken

mgmcc 16:58 25 Sep 05

Ken,

This is a "long shot" and an option that is only available in XP Pro, not XP Home. Open Windows Explorer and, in its menus, go to "Tools > Folder Options", select the View tab and, in the Advanced Settings list, the very last entry is "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)". Have a look to see that its box is definitely ticked.

Ken H Lamb 19:28 25 Sep 05

Hi MGMCC

I have checked Tools - Folder Options - View Tab - Advance settings and the "use simple file sharing" is ticked!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

JAS100 22:09 25 Sep 05

mgmcc
Ken is describing a problem I had with a different network.

Both are running XP Home
They are networked through a Broadband Router
The PCs are in the same workgroup
Each can ping the other's IP address

HOWEVER. when I type ipconfig on the computer that is not sharing there is more information in that it has two IP addresses. One is in the form I would imagine but there is another associated with a 'Tunnel adapter teredo tunneling pseudo-interface. (IP address Fe80::20c:76ff:fe3f:2f09%4). This computer was originally networked to a network in a student's hall of residence. Does this help?

mgmcc 22:19 25 Sep 05

<<< but there is another associated with a 'Tunnel adapter teredo tunneling pseudo-interface. (IP address Fe80::20c:76ff:fe3f:2f09%4). >>>

If I remember correctly, that relates to Internet Protocol v6 emulating a connection using conventional IPv4 protocol. There should be no reason for having "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" protocol installed.

JAS100 22:30 25 Sep 05

"Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" protocol" is installed. Should I uncheck the box next to it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…