Access Denied to my own documents!!

tomhealy 23:06 21 Aug 03

Having copied up my "My Documents" folder to a second hard drive (D) before replacing the system disk drive (C), i figured that it would be simple enough to copy the files back to the new system disk (C).

However, for some reason it is not allowing me to access these files now. I get various messages, such as: 'Cannot open the ........ file. Make sure a disk is in the drive specified', 'Cannot access the file' (in Windows Media 9), or 'Access to ..../..../.... is denied'

Any idea wtf is going on and how i can fix it?

jazzypop 23:15 21 Aug 03

This may help, if you are using XP - click here

Ironman556 23:15 21 Aug 03

Are any of the files exe's? If you drag and drop to another folder or drive, exe's will create shortcuts.

If you then remove the orignial drive the exe's are on, and try to open the file on the second drive the PC will look for that file on the original drive you've removed. You'll then get a "can't find file" error.

tomhealy 23:23 21 Aug 03

no exe's, just word docs, jpegs, mpegs and txt files

krypt1c 23:25 21 Aug 03

To test Ironman556 suggestion right click on any of your documents and click locate. If they are shortcuts you'll get an error message. BTW, why don't you just leave your documents on your D drive ? Then you won't need to worry about them.

krypt1c 23:28 21 Aug 03

Ooops. Should have said select properties then if it's a shortcut it will have a fond target option ;-(

tomhealy 23:41 21 Aug 03

Having the same problem on both drives

jazzypop 23:46 21 Aug 03

So you are not using XP?

tomhealy 23:49 21 Aug 03

Am using XP.

Sorry was trying what you suggested as i typed the other replies.

No luck. Still the same

jazzypop 23:56 21 Aug 03

Do you get an error message if you double-click the file from within Windows Explorer, or just when you open the file from within a program?

krypt1c 23:57 21 Aug 03

Have you tried doing a search for one of the named files on both HD ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5