Access Denied to drives under windows XP

Mike Mills 19:38 23 Jun 03

We are running windows XP Home and have four accounts setup. Just recently I have had 'Access Denied' to the CD-RW drive, my wife has been unable to access the floppy drive - same error message. Please can anybody let me know what i may be able to do to resolve this issue? Thank you.

jazzypop 20:30 23 Jun 03

This is normally an issue with using CD-RW disks, as opposed to CD-R.

Have you installed / uninstalled any CD writing software, such as Adaptec /Roxio / Nero?

BBez 23:00 23 Jun 03

logon with Administrator rights, goto the file that is giving you errors, right click the file, select "properties" tab then the "security" tab and check who has "rights" to access the file. If the box is blank, you may been hit with a trojan etc, like i've been (see earlier post on take ownership). Click on the "advanced" tab while in the "security menu" and select the "owner" tab. Up'll come a box with the "Administrator" and "aAdministrators" groups. Seklect the Admin group then click "apply", then close all windows. Try to access the file while still logged on as Administrator and see if you can get access to the file. If you can, go back into the "propertioes", "security" tabs and click on the "add" box, browse to the "everyone" group and give them "full control" which will let everybody's account access the folders...

please check you're earlier post for replies instead of reposting :)

Mike Mills 10:49 24 Jun 03

it is not a problem re: access of particular files on the disk (floppy or CD) we simply cannot access the drive(s) at all. The error message tells us the drive is not accessible then "Access is denied"!

BBez 13:54 24 Jun 03

right clicking the drives then properties and security settings to see if the drive is allowing accounts to access it. Would also run an AV scan on the system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…