Access Denied

pj123 13:06 01 Jun 06

I have a scanned .wmf image of my signature saved in My Documents.

Haven't used it for a while now but today I needed to append it to a letter in Word.

It used to work OK but now I get:

"Access to the specified device, path or file is denied."

I have checked the Attributes and only Read Only is ticked.

I have tried copying it to another folder but still get the same error message.

In fact, I have just tried to open a few more .wmf files and get the same error. So it seems to be a problem with .wmf files??

Running Win 98SE.

howard63 20:02 01 Jun 06

your wmf files could be pointing to the wrong prog to open them. You need to break the wrong association and then tell it the correct one.

Joe R 20:12 01 Jun 06

pj123,

what version of word is it.?

mattyc_92 20:18 01 Jun 06

Maybe corrupt?

Have you got a backup of it?

skidzy 21:15 01 Jun 06

Hi PJ
This may be a pointer in the right direction. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 01 Jun 06

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

pj123 10:35 02 Jun 06

Thanks to all, but howard63 hit the nail.

It wasn't associated with anything. Now fixed to "open with" Paint Shop Pro.

All OK now. Have also rescanned it as a .jpg.

Thanks again.

Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…