Access Denied

Snakey 19:10 03 Jul 05

I am trying to copy a friends 'My Document' by installing hid HDD as a slave in my PC.(His PC has faulty M/B.)His hard disk has WIN XP Pro. installed. I have managed to copy most of the Data but keep getting an 'Access denied' message when copying the Desktop folder and some Microsoft Money Data files. I get the same message when trying to open the Desktop folder.

Kate B 19:12 03 Jul 05

Are his Money files password-protected? If so I imagine he'd need to remove that on the original hdd before you can copy them over.

woodchip 19:24 03 Jul 05

If you start in Safe mode by keep pressing F8 as computer starts. choose Safe Mode, Administrator. You should then be able to copy info to your drive then after restart and copy to CD or DVD

Snakey 20:14 03 Jul 05

I think his Money Data is password protected but cannot boot the drive in his PC due to the Hardware failure.

Also my Login is Administrator but tried in Safe Mode no luck.

mattyc_92 20:26 03 Jul 05

That is because you need to "take ownership" of his files...

Go to "Tools->Folder Options" and click onto the "View" tab... Now untick the LAST option ("Use Simple File Sharing") and click onto OK... Now go to a file or one of the folders you can't move/access and right-click and select "Properties" and click onto the "Security" tab. Click onto the "Advance button and select "Owners" tab... Now, you SHOULD see your username (with your computer's name at the beginning e.g "Snakeys_computer\Administrator"). Just click onto your user name and click OK and OK on the other window...

You should now be able to access the folders and files...

***NOTE: If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, then you will need to boot into "safe mode" instead of unticking that option***

Snakey 20:35 03 Jul 05

Was looking good but still get the same message.

mattyc_92 21:01 03 Jul 05

What version of windows are you using? WinXP Home? WinXP Pro? WinXP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…