Access database not saving new data

harristweed 08:39 22 May 07

Some time ago I wrote an Access database for a company, last week they asked me why it had stopped saving data. I said I did not know, but I suspected the user was doing something wrong. That was until yesterday when I was contacted by a second company and asked if I knew why their Microsoft Access had stopped saving data.

I have not visited either location but suspect that a recent Microsoft automatic update has caused this problem. Both these databases are on a small network.

Has any one suffered anything a similar problem?

silverous 09:55 22 May 07

Haven't seen this before. Which version of Access? Have you done much coding behind it or is it fairly straightforward?

The fact that two independent companies have come forward suggests it might be update related to me otherwise I would have suggested volumes but for both of them to hit a particular volume where the database had a problem or became corrupt in the same time period seems unlikely or a big coincidence.

Can't they send you a copy to take a look at and try on your machine?

Have you searched MS knowledgebase ? If a Microsoft update had this effect I think it would be in there fairly quick.

harristweed 10:53 22 May 07

Thanks for your reply silverous.

I agree that if it was a Microsoft issue there would be a lot of publicity. It could well be coincidence. Both databases are quite large, so I've suggested trying 'compact and repair'. Not had any feed back yet.

To the best of my memory the version of both is Access 2000 but one is a Spanish version. I have not done any VB coding just macros.

silverous 10:56 22 May 07

Sounds very intriguing, would appreciate if you can post back what you eventually find! Could they have reached a practical limit on the size of a table/index?

Can't they send you the DB so you can try it?

harristweed 11:00 22 May 07

If the 'compact and repair' doesn't work, i'll get the database and investigate further, I'll let you know the outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now