Access Broadband internet from wired laptop client

frager 11:52 10 Jul 05

I have set up a wired home network using a crossover cable to connect my desktop to my laptop.
I have a Broadband connection to the internet using a USB ADSL modem which is connected to the desktop.
I started this yesterday and I was able to connect to the internet from the laptop without any problem. (I don’t know why or how this worked. Must have been an accident ?)

I have a dial-up connection on the laptop for use when I am in an area where broadband is not available. I was able to connect to the internet by clicking on this icon on the desktop.
It took me some time to get each computer to see the other and to get my printer to work from each machine, but eventually I succeeded.

Unfortunately today I cannot connect to the internet from the laptop.
I have Windows XP Home on both computers and am using Internet Explorer 6
I can’t figure out how to set up the Internet connection on the laptop.

My basic questions are:
1 What settings do I need to make on the laptop to connect to the Internet using Broadband?

2 and having done that what do I click on on the laptop?

Thanks

Pat

Forum Editor 11:54 10 Jul 05

from the Helproom.

mgmcc 16:35 10 Jul 05

See my reply to you in the other forum where you asked the same question ;-)

click here

frager 22:42 10 Jul 05

Thanks very much for your help.
I am using Norton Firewall and I made some changes to that.

Also, some of the settings I made when setting up the network seemed to have been reset. I had to re-enable Internet Connection Sharing,

The Internet connection from the laptop is working perfectly now.

I find a lot of this networking difficult to follow. There are so many options and decisions to be made; boxes to check/uncheck etc.

I think I must have made some correct decisions by accident.

I still have some problems with My Network Places, but I will work on it.

The network is working with some minor annoyances.

I have two books and visit a number of web sites, but there is a lot to read and understand.

I might pluck up the courage to try wireless networking in the future—when I get a better understanding of the whole process.

Again, Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…