Access to BIOS post and HD drive

gyrotyro 23:56 29 Oct 05

I have an old Gateway P11,450Mhz. with a Phoenix bios. I recently had to fit a new keyboard which works very well except once the bios post is open the keyboard can no longer access it so no changes can be made.
The original HD was an IBM 12Gb. This is now a secondary drive, the main HD being a Maxtor 21Gb.
The IBM drive is partitioned into E and F with F being 2.2Gb but I cannot access F at all.Explorer says that F needs to be reformatted but can't do it.
Any advice to solve these problems please?

DieSse 23:59 29 Oct 05

I recently had to fit a new keyboard

A USB keyboard?? - if so it almost certainly won't work at that point, and the system will have no facility to make it work, as newer systems have.

gyrotyro 00:35 30 Oct 05

New keyboard has PS2 connector same as the old one.
Gyrotyro

DieSse 00:39 30 Oct 05

I can't see any reason that it wouldn't work then - assuming it works in other circumstances. Why did yo have to fit a new keyboard? Possinly there's a motherboard problem with the connector?

gyrotyro 00:55 30 Oct 05

Spilled liquid on the old keyboard . New one works perfectly in all respects except for accessing the bios once it has opened. Doesn't make sense to me either.
Gyrotyro

DieSse 01:21 30 Oct 05

Accessing the BIOS is mainly by the arrow keys - do they work OK elsewhere?

Splork 01:25 30 Oct 05

Are you using a PS2 mouse too? I recently sorted a PC that wouldn't allow access to the BIOS unless both PS2 sockets were in use, no errors, just a refusal to bring up the BIOS screen until I swapped the USB mouse for a PS2 one. Had me very puzzled for a while. MSI 5182 motherboard if I recall correctly.

gyrotyro 23:30 30 Oct 05

Arrow keys work fine in all programs in WIN XP.
Yes I have a PS2 mouse. Motherboard is by Intel.

Splork 23:31 30 Oct 05

Do you get the the numlock/capslock lights to display if you tap them during boot? On and off, keep hitting them....

gyrotyro 23:55 30 Oct 05

I now have full access to the bios. Thanks guys.
Any ideas about my F drive?

Splork 00:00 31 Oct 05

Try a bootdisk and see if you can access that drive click here
If not, it must be corrupted - did you set it up on the current PC, or on another macine?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…