Access to applications stored on a separate drive

Pinochio 21:31 21 Jul 03

I am about to partition my hard disk so that I can run both Windows 98SE and Windows XP - e.g. Windows 98 on the C: drive and Windows XP on the D: drive. I am OK about how to do this but I would like to be able to install my applications, like MS Word, on a third drive (E: drive) in the hope that both operating systems will be able to use the applications on the E: drive. However, I have received conflicting advice about whether or not this is possible.

Microsoft's web site seems to say that if I want both operating systems to be able to use a particular application I will have to install that application in both the C: and the D: drives. On the other hand I have read that it is possible to make a single installation on the E: drive.

Does anyone know if it is possible for both operating system to use an application that is stored on a separate drive, or do I have to install the application on each of the drives that contain the operating system?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

powerless 21:38 21 Jul 03

I've only tried it with opera and computer games and it worked. Some files were still written to C:

Only way to know is to try it.

you will only be able to instal standalone appications to the E drive, that is to say applications that do not put files into the windows system directories and the application data directories. it may work if you instal the software in both operating systems and set the path to the E drive but i can envision all sorts of problems

zanwalk 21:42 21 Jul 03

I have some applications in a folder on my data partition, I am able to access them from all three W98 partitions, however, you may not be successful with different OS. As Powerless says, the only way is to try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…