Access 97 sort problem

GRFT 09:46 26 Mar 05

I'm trying to sort the records in this database using the two left-most fields (apart from the extreme left,the first field, which is just an ID number to show the order in which the records were entered.)
Even though the sort cell of this ID field in design view isn't selected, Access persists in sorting on this field first. Even hiding it makes no difference. What am I doing wrong? Many thanks.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 22:56 26 Mar 05

Have tried this type of sorting myself by selectig the 2nd and 3rd columns only and the sorts work find. Not sure why you have a problem.

AccessMoron 23:29 26 Mar 05

wrute a query, then select the fields you want to sort by.

GRFT 08:07 27 Mar 05

It's in the query design view where the sort fields are selected. Say I have three fields, A,B and C, from left to right. In the design grid, Select sort on field B, then sort on field C. Field A is marked as Not Sorted, but it is still sorted first. That's the problem.
Thanks for your response.

Chris the Ancient 13:29 27 Mar 05

Make a query that has the fields in the order you want to sort by.

Then in the form, table or whatever you want the fields displayed, put them in display order.

A query will always work from left to right, regardless of the display.

If your case, if you don't actually need a primary or secondary to be displayed, you can un-check the 'show' box.

HTH

Chris

GRFT 08:04 28 Mar 05

Many thanks. I should have mentioned that it's in the Table view I'm having the problem. Even if I shift that field to the right-most position, that's the one that's sorted first in the Table view even though it's marked as not sorted. It's really no great hassle I suppose, just puzzling. The query view is OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…