Acceptable size of emails

Sir Radfordin 12:02 05 Apr 04

Anyone have any views on an acceptable size for an email newsletter? Being a broadband user I'm not fussed but know dial-up users wouldn't be happy if I sent out a 1mb email :)

Also, is the better option to embed images or to use 'lazy html' and have the image source file on a website. The former increases size but means the user won't have to be online, the latter reduces size but does mean users not online at time of reading won't see the images.

vinnyT 12:23 05 Apr 04

Good Q, when I was on BB, it didn't bother me how big they were just dloaded in secounds, now on dial-up (no BB in area) and delete from server any mail over 1/2Mb.

I think the thing to do is email the person first, asking if they wish to receive the larger email, this way they have the choice and don't end up getting mad. Hope this helps.

Sir Radfordin 12:29 05 Apr 04

A nice idea but unfortunatly can't ask 600 people ;)

STARIE 12:53 05 Apr 04

It is worth having a look down your subscribers list and seeing if many of the addressess are web-based i.e. hotmail as the size of their inbox is limited.

It may be worth doing a trial run of your newsletter with the images embedded and asking the subscribers if this suits them (keep the issue small). Spell out the options and get them to reply for which type of newsletter they would like in future. Then just split your address list accordingly and each version to the corresponding list. (If you are able to do this!)

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 13:08 05 Apr 04

Sorry Sir R, didn't realise you were sending so many out. (either it's a newsletter, catalogue, etc. or you are incredibally popular).

Pesala 14:12 05 Apr 04

Include embedded thumbnails linked to full-sized images on the web so that you don't have to compromise on quality, and subscribers have an option to download the full image or not. People hate not being given any option. Sending out 600 Mbytes is significant even on Broadband.

TomJerry 14:24 05 Apr 04

(1) You could convert newletters to pdf format (so layout and content are protected). pdf document is compressed so is normally small. If you have bmp pictures within document, you can control compress ratio to make pdf file smaller.

(2) You can put the newletters on a website (better to have password protection etc) and just send link to people.

Sir Radfordin 14:34 05 Apr 04

I'd agree with you on point 2 however it is the wish of those 'in charge' that the information is sent out as an email. I can only give advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…