AC97 Sound, HOW do you adjust the BASS/Treble?

AnthonyB 05:46 11 Apr 04

Hello,

I have noticed that when adjusting volume etc on my Sound card (onboard AC97) that the Bass and Treble are "Dimmed". I would like to know why I can't adjust these settings (bass/Treble) - will "Drivers" help?

TIA

Anthony

Brian-336451 06:46 11 Apr 04

Let me know too, on my laptop running XPPro, I still have the same problem.

I use Creative Travelsound plug in speakers which are excellent and Media Player 9 at least allows you to adjust bass and treble using the Graphic Equalizer.

So until I get an answer to your question I shall continue doing it this way.

Good luck

Gongoozler 09:01 11 Apr 04

As far as I can tell, there are no bass and treble controls in the AC'97 chip set. I have found the manufacturers user guide for my SoundMax chip, and it has no mention of these controls click here.

There is really no need for a tone control, the chipset is designed to accurately translate the signal data. Tone controls are to compensate for deficiences in the speakers and environment, hence my speakers have tone controls.

Gongoozler 09:06 11 Apr 04

According to this site click here, you may have a registry setting to allow AC,97 tone controls, Hkey_Local_machine/ System/ Current Control Set/ Services/ Class/ Media/ 0001/ config, then change "Allow Tone Controls for AC97" from 00 to 01. I don't have this option in my registry.

westdudes 09:55 11 Apr 04

in the bottom right hand corner in task manager thingy a sound max control panel?or can you bring one up? thats if im thinking of the right model?

westdudes 09:57 11 Apr 04

sorry read it wrong
i looked and so the word soundmax and thought it was urs for some unknown reason
apologise...i have ac97 chipset on my laptop so me shall be looking.im sure ive seen it somewhere.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:14 11 Apr 04

I have full equaliser controls on my AC97 and I think I downloaded this add-on......click here (not 100% sure) which adds a sound and effects controller to the taskbar. The sound from the card, through Labtecs, is as good as ANY soundcard.

G

My mobo came with Xear3d on the cd,which gives my ac97 a 10 band mixer.

Gongoozler 12:36 11 Apr 04

AC'97 is a specification by Intel for a 20-bit audio architecture for the PC. In this specification output tone controls are optional click here. How these specifications are interpreted and what features are included is up to the chip manufacturers, and the drivers are specific to each version of the AC'97 chip. To find what features are in the chip on your motherboard you need to identify the motherboard make and model.

Stuartli 12:52 11 Apr 04

Tone controls are normally available within the audio utility/drivers set for your onboard or sound card output, or try Sound and Audio Devices from Control Panel.

broggs 13:16 11 Apr 04

Have a look on the microstar website as I think that is where I got my drivers for my onboard ac 97 sound.I also have a ten band graphic equaliser AND 5.1 surround sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…