AC 97 Drivers missing

wesparmalee 22:26 18 Dec 06

I have a real problem with my pc's sound.Everytime i try to play a music file, or listen to anything online, i get a message telling me there's no audio device connected to the computer.It appears in device manager that there's no AC97 drivers installed.This seems strange as i would have though they were on my original restore disc.How can i locate these drivers?Can they either be downloaded, or can they be installed from my restore disc?Thanks in advance.

pac73 22:49 18 Dec 06

Hi go to sis.com,and choose support,then driver downloads.It scans your pc and then lets you download what you need.Hope this helps.

birdface 23:04 18 Dec 06

Hi, have you ran your microsoft up=dates lately,I would have thought that they would have downloaded the drivers for you,

skidzy 23:18 18 Dec 06
  woodchip 23:31 18 Dec 06

This may be a Sis Driver use Belarc to find what chipset the Mobo is the SIS also as a NUMBER to go with it click here

Stuartli 00:12 19 Dec 06

The onboard sound could also be provided by Realtek or C-Media.

Check first to find out which you have using Windows System Information or, as woodchip suggests, Belar Advisor or, perhaps, Everest (from):

click here

You can then go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest AC97 drivers.

Stuartli 00:13 19 Dec 06

There are also Via equivalents. See:

click here

wesparmalee 01:21 19 Dec 06

OK, will give all of these suggestions a try, thankyou.

Taff™ 08:40 19 Dec 06

I`ve had two instances this week where Microsoft`s optional software updates have provided a new driver for "C-Media AC97"

In both cases it disabled the previously working on board sound drivers. To resolve go to Control Panel>System and on the Hardware tab select Device Manager. There will be a yellow exclamation icon next to the sound driver. Right click the item and select Properties. On the driver Tab select "Roll Back Driver". Reboot and it should all be working again.

Taff™ 08:42 19 Dec 06

If that worked go to windows updates and the offending driver update should be there. Expand the selection by clicking on the plus sign and put a tick in the "Don`t show this again" box

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant