Absolutely baffled - the weirdest thing!!!

Chaco 13:04 08 Apr 04

Last night I was happily playing away on my PC when I noticed that the shortcut for Nero that was pinned to the start menu was registering a generic icon. This was because I had reinstalled Nero to a different location due to some corrupt sectors that was causing cache problems for Nero. I looked at properties for the Nero icon and saw that the location field was blank. I put in the new location for Nero and it worked fine. Except that no matter what I run, Nero gets run. if I run IE, I get Nero. If I do Start/Run/Cmd I get Nero. If I reboot instead of getting Zone Alarm and my antivirus loading I get Nero, Nero, Nero. Absolutely every single executable fo whatever form that I have tried runs Nero. I though about what I had done to the Nero icon which might have cause dthe problem and I can;t understand how something local to Nero could affect the whole system. I also suspect that it could be a virus simple because of the behaviour. I am in the middle of a rebuild; installing XP on E: so that I might be able to salvage all my letters and photos within My Documents on C:

It is the most insane thing I have ever seen after years in IT and I can find nothing on the net about it at all. I've heard of viruses disabling exe files but never doing what happens on my PC.

I just wondered if anyone has ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks

Dave

Chaco 13:06 08 Apr 04

Apologies for the spelling and grammer, it has been a long night!!

AndySD 13:21 08 Apr 04

It sounds like you have associated all exe files with Nero. click here may give you some help.

Chaco 13:29 08 Apr 04

Hi Andy, your solution looks good on paper but the problem I have is that I can't run anything at all that doesn't load Nero. Can't get a cmd prompt up as I get Nero when I try. Even when I right click on the desktop and click Settings, I get Nero. I seems that exe files that are affected but I suspect it's any runnable file just about, exe or not. I can open the Control Panel ok but as soon as I click on any of the icons within it I get Nero.

I am resigned to a rebuild with the hope I can salvage as much of my files as I can, I am just amazed that I was able to screw my system up so completely so easily and so simply.

Thanks again for your help Andy.

Dave

Stuartli 13:38 08 Apr 04

Have you tried in Safe Mode?

If you have XP you may well be able to do a System Restore.

Stuartli 13:41 08 Apr 04

How are you getting on to this website?

AndySD 13:42 08 Apr 04

Try going Windows\inf\shell.inf and right click on the inf file, then Click Install.

Chaco 13:55 08 Apr 04

Stuartli - Yep, tried Safe Mode, tried the console, tried doing a repair installation, tried just about everything I can think of. Oh and I am accessing this site from work (in my lunchtime of course <g>)

AndySD - can't run windows explorer on C: (or XP original install disk if you like)

What I have done is deleted and reformatted partition D: (on a second disk) and installed Xp on there - works fine. The plan was to then copy the contents of My Documents from C: to D:, reformat C: and then do a full install on there. Copy the contents of My Documents back across and then reformat D: BUT, Administrator on the XP install from D: cannot access user's files on C: (because of the two different installations of XP I presume)so I was initially snookered. I then found ReadNTFS at click here and it looks like I may be able to use that tonight to boot into DOS, copy the contents of My Documents from my NTFS C: to my FAT D: and then be able to blat C:

That's the theory. :)

AndySD 14:01 08 Apr 04

Start then Run type in

rundll setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\shell.inf

click Ok and then Restart it will reset all assosciations to Default

Chaco 14:11 08 Apr 04

That looks like it might be do-able (the rundll command worried me but I will see what happens). I will try it tonight and let you know. Thank you for your help

AndySD 14:13 08 Apr 04

Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

NOTE: You must log on as the administrator or a user that has administrator rights.

At the command prompt, type

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and then press ENTER.

Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…