Abrupt battery failure after total discharge

Min75 21:52 31 Mar 11

Hi,
I allowed my laptop to completley discharge all power overnight (accidentally) and then tried unsuccessfully to power it up the next day. It would not boot up. I powered it up - this may or may not be important but I am powering it up in the Czech republic, not the UK, where I live - and it now works but I get an error message 601 (this is an HP Pavilion 1008ea) when I switch it on, before it starts to boot up. I can boot up without being connected to the main, by the way, but then the laptop won't stay on for long. OK so then the laptop is on, and there is a big red X on the battery icon telling me to consider replacing my battery. If I unplug it, it just loses power so quickly (minutes). This is a fairly new battery - well, a year old or so - and it just seems odd that it suddenly developed this problem. Any ideas? Might it just be OK when I go back to the UK?!?!

MAT ALAN 22:03 31 Mar 11

click here

might help...

Min75 22:07 31 Mar 11

but why such a rapid onset to the problem? The battery had been fine. The onset coincides with my trying to boot up my laptop with no power supply after it had totally discharged. Does this normally cause a battery to effectively break? Seems odd!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 31 Mar 11

Internal battery error message 601 usually refers to the CMOS battery.

You may have flattened the CMOS battery as well.

You need to plug in an recharge the battery without starting the laptop. this may take sometime if the battery was completely discharged.
leave connected to mains for at least 12hrs to see if battery recharges.

If not try
Laptop Battery not showing Charging
1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Then the battery.
Should now show 100% charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was because it was fully charged.

MAT ALAN 22:09 31 Mar 11

it might be a generic fault with HP batteries, a battery will either work or it won't at least this ones giving you warning by the fact you have an error code...

MAT ALAN 22:14 31 Mar 11

click here

this should clarify some points...

Min75 22:41 31 Mar 11

Thanks for your links Mat but I have already done basic google search and searches on HP. The loss in the capacity of the battery was certainly not gradual. It was overnight, as described. Fruitbat, I will try the motherboard thing tomorrow (too late now, got early start). Thanks for all the advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017