about:blank won't go away

Confab 20:07 30 Jun 04

Yesterday when I booted my PC I noticed a couple of strange things happening. Firstly Windows Media Player had gone. The desktop icon was there but if I clicked on it the little search duologue box appeared and told me it was unable to find wmp.exe (or something like that anyway). Also Quick Time player loaded on startup when I had disabled it weeks ago. None of these were big issues and I solved them in a couple of minutes.

The biggest problem I have is that I have some sort of Trojan. Whenever I click on IE my homepage defaults to about:blank and my PC then freezes for about 1 minute. I then get a popup telling me that I may have spyware and do I want a free scan.

I have tried running Ad-Aware and it comes up with 12 registry entries relating to a possible browser hijack. If I get Ad-aware to remove the registry entries they are back within 30 seconds. I've tried CWSShredder - It finds 6 entries relating to a hijacked browser and again I get the prog to remove them but they come back within seconds. To cut a long story short I've also tried Hijack This - Spyware Guard - Spybot but still the problem persists. With SpywareGuard it literally tells me every 30 seconds that something has tried to change my Browser default page.

Ican see no strange programs loading at startup and no unusual processes running in the background

I update regularly from Microsoft and I keep AD-Aware and Spybot up to date. I've also run a complete virus scan using Trend PC-Cillin but it found nothing. (My AV is set to update every 3 hours). I've also got Zonealarm installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can cure this apart from a complete re-format and how could it have got in in the first place? I thought my PC was a secure a Fort Knox

Thanks in advance.

Confab

VoG II 20:11 30 Jun 04

Try running Ad-aware in Safe Mode click here

If that doesn't work, post a HJT log click here

sattman 20:24 30 Jun 04

Confab I am trying to get an answer to this also

Can you tell me do you have in IE home page option for blank showing as About:blank

I have this and am confused as to is this a actual default or the virus.

Confab 20:44 30 Jun 04

VoG™ - Thank you. Why on earth didn't I think of safe mode. Now solved thank you very much.

sattman - Yes I do have a IE home page option called Use Blank and that sets the home page to about:blank, that's normal. The trojan that I was referring to sets your home page to about:blank and you can't change it to any other default home page without it going back to about:blank.

Thanks again

Confab

sattman 20:51 30 Jun 04

Confab

Thank you for confirmation on About:blank

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…