about:blank

RIPInspiron 18:48 08 Feb 11

I did a search on the forum for this and found nowt - a surprise as a Google search produces about a squillion hits.
For every Google hit there is a different remedy - so what is correct - how do you get rid?
One remedy was supposed to be installation of cwshredder - did that - didn't find or remove it. Security Essentials doesn't find it either.

Big L 266 19:18 08 Feb 11

Hello.

May I please kindly ask you to explain exactly what has gone on? I get the impression your computer has a 'bug' in it and you need help with removing it. It that a fair basic overview?

Please let us know in more detail what has gone wrong so that we can try and help fix it.

Thank you.

Big L 266

rdave13 19:23 08 Feb 11

Have a look at this rempoval info; click here

RIPInspiron 20:00 08 Feb 11

Thanks rdave.
Have you ever had need of the Aboutbuster? I saved to desktop etc., when I double-clicked the exe file, it opend a window saying that it was a scan tool, not a fix/removal. After the scan it produced a runtime error, plus details that I did not write down - "something missing".

Needles to say - the irritating, pain-in-the**** is still there.

rdave13 20:31 08 Feb 11

I'm assuming you're on XP? It needs to be run in safe mode.
If that fails then download and update Malwarebytes antimalware (free version) click here and run in safe mode.

RIPInspiron 20:46 08 Feb 11

No, Vista - did run in safe mode.
My not reading all on the link? Not suitable for Vista?
I tried downloading the freeware from PCTools, but that says it is incompatible with MS Security Essentials, so I would have been going round in circles installing and uninstalling stuff.
With so much (free) stuff available and so much information and misinformation out there, I am reluctant to try anything that does not come with some kind of recommendation.
I will see how the Malwarebytes goes.
Thanks again

RIPInspiron 20:53 08 Feb 11

Well, it installed OK, but didn't find it........

RIPInspiron 22:51 08 Feb 11

Ad-aware took over an hour to run a scan, but also failed.

Anyone have a method that works with Vista?

RIPInspiron 23:16 08 Feb 11

AdwareAway definately finds it, quickly, but the free download only scans, it no longer fixes it - you have to purchase it to do that. Presumably the free download used to include a short-lived removal facility as there are mentions around the www about it being effective as freeware.

Ashrich 00:30 09 Feb 11

Google Pack contain a free version of Spyware Doctor the does actually remove what it finds , click here .

Ashley

RIPInspiron 11:34 09 Feb 11

Thanks for that, but the freeware at least, did not find about:blank.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…