About to Upgrade HD - will recovery disk work?

plsndrs3 19:03 02 Nov 03

Hi,

I have a Medion 1.8 with WinXP installed. The 40GB HD is divided into 3 parts[c - 19GB;d - 19GB[backup];e - 2GB[recover].

I have just purchased an 80GB drive [missed the PC World offer -drat!!]& await it from Dabs, but I seem to recall that the recovery disk looks to the 'recover' section of the HDD should I need to do a full restore as it is not a full XP disc, using the files instead on the E sector. I do a full reformat about once a year to clear the rubbish out.

I was going to use Partition Magic to copy the existing drive on the new HDD with a further area for the excess space, but am unsure if - because the new drive is double the size - the recovery disk will not work. Then again, if the recovery disk looks only for a section labelled e and a size of 1.8GB I could create this. But will it work?

I have other OS full disks [95 & 98] but would prefer to keep XP if possible. Again, I do not have a full disk for this OS.

Many thanks to all in advance for any help you can give.

Regards,

Paul

plsndrs3 19:27 02 Nov 03

Bump

plsndrs3 20:13 02 Nov 03

^Bump^

plsndrs3 22:29 02 Nov 03

^^bump^^

woodchip 22:33 02 Nov 03

You could make a Image of C:\ with Drive Image that could be loaded strait on to your new drive and it would work but why not leave the old drive in and use as the main C:\ drive and Add the new drive as slave

woodchip 22:35 02 Nov 03

you need to make the floppy discs with Drive Image CD, to load on to a clean drive

plsndrs3 22:39 02 Nov 03

I'd already considered the slave option woodchip. I really wanted to move the 40GB to my son's PC - he only has 10 GB at the moment & is looking for a bigger drive for Xmas [Note the Scrooge coming out in me? ;o))]

I've never used Drive Image before - just got it this weekend in a bargain bin. Wht do the disks do/for [no instruction booklet so plenty spondoolies off]

Thanks,

Paul

Cesar 10:05 03 Nov 03

On the Drive Image disc there should be a Tutorial In PDF format, what version are you using.

woodchip 17:24 03 Nov 03

You just start With Number one disc in comp then put the second disc in when it ask's for it the screen will then load so you can Image the Drive to a CDRW, You need to chop the size of the Image to fit on CD's. This will make an exact Image of your Partition and all the Software on it including OS, And can be restored to any Drive that is at least as big as the one you made the Image on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…