//some 3rd party need geo

About SBS 2003 - A few things I need to know

barnettgs 12:00 25 Jan 05

My work (Community Centre) have got a new IBM server with SBS 2003 CD set.

I have just done installing drivers and SBS 2003 on this server so all I have to do is to configure existing client computers to connect to SBS 2003.

1) But one thing bothering me a bit (I suppose this is what I get with having a server)is that if server goes down, the client computers connected to it can not be logged in?

2) I have just tried Add User & Computer Wizards, it seems to be straightforward process but somehow I'm bit curious to know how to set up a shared directories for each group of users:

eg ICT folder for 2 or 3 users, Account folder for another 2 users and so on so that one or two users should be able to access both folder, other only can access to one folder. Hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

3) Outlook 2003 - at the moment, we uses yahoo mail webbased instead of outlook express for better virus protection and i don't think disabling attachment in outlook express would solve the problem and also there are few users who have little knowledge of using outlook so I'm curious to find out about Outlook 2003, any safer?

Finally, is there any recommended site about configuating sbs 2003 apart from biased microsoft.com!

Thanks in advance

Gaz 25 22:00 25 Jan 05

and I urge you to e-mail me should you have problems.

1) But one thing bothering me a bit (I suppose this is what I get with having a server)is that if server goes down, the client computers connected to it can not be logged in?

Well, depends. If it's cached they will be able to log in, abiet without any network access. If the user hasn't logged on before, nope. You'd have to log on as local, not though a domain.

2) I have just tried Add User & Computer Wizards, it seems to be straightforward process but somehow I'm bit curious to know how to set up a shared directories for each group of users:

Well, you create folders - whereever (c:\shared\user1, c:\shared\user2), etc and give quota's and restrictions by using built in security permissions.

eg ICT folder for 2 or 3 users, Account folder for another 2 users and so on so that one or two users should be able to access both folder, other only can access to one folder. Hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

In your case: c:\shared\ICT

Then apply permissions for user's or a user group that needs to access that folder, and again the same for accounts.

You may have user group ICT dept, and Accounts with all the users from that Dept inside, which makes perm's and security easier.

3) Outlook 2003 - at the moment, we uses yahoo mail webbased instead of outlook express for better virus protection and i don't think disabling attachment in outlook express would solve the problem and also there are few users who have little knowledge of using outlook so I'm curious to find out about Outlook 2003, any safer?

No e-mail app is safe from virus, especially if a user clicks an attachment.

However, 2003 does have attachment restriction and I suggest applying a GROUP POLICY to your staff/users so they cannot run 'UNTRUSTED' programs and attachments, or install new apps or modify the registry.

Install NOD32 or another antivirus system to ALL workstations, and put an administration centre on the server. click here

Finally, if you have the money, install a damn good HARDWARE firewall/Antivirus/Proxy system.

For performance issues, and to SAVE BANDWIDTH - install a proxy server such as 602lansuite from click here - you will have to buy and install on server, then set-up all PC's to proxy through the server. Ensure that your server has static IP. The advantage of proxy servers is, when a user requests a page, and then another user comes and requests the same page or DNS - it doesn't have to recollect the data - making it quicker and saves bandwidth which you pay for.

Make sure server has Firewall and Antivirus. Agnitum.com firewall pro is good for a server.

If you require any more help, click the envelope next to my name.

As for websites, search google for Small Business Server tutorials, etc.

Regards,
Gareth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…