About to replace PSU. What is instant power on?

Dipso 21:11 29 Apr 04

This is the first time I have replaced a PSU and it seems pretty straightforward, but, I have a copy of the MOBO manual and don't understand the implications of the following, can anyone tell me what exactly it means?

This power connector supports instant power on function which means that system will boot up instantly when the power connector is inserted on the board.

Warning: Since the mainboard has the instant power on function, make sure that all components are installed properly before inserting the power
connector to ensure that no damage will be done.

Gongoozler 21:30 29 Apr 04

This function will switch on the computer as soon as power is applied to the connector, without you needing to press the computer "On" switch. The warning is there to tell you to keep your fingers out and don't be in the process of plugging bits in at that time. It's much better to select a "Soft on by power button" option. If you are just replacing the power supply you won't need to change any BIOS settings.

Dipso 21:45 29 Apr 04

So as I am just replacing an existing power supply I can safely presume that Soft on by power button is already set up, (I do have to press the power button to boot up).

The other way sounds a bit dangerous, I had no intention of connecting the power while I was still plugging in.

I appreciate your advice as I am just clarifying these things to avoid any silly mistakes.

Gongoozler 22:04 29 Apr 04

Hi Dipso. I'm sure you didn't intend to plug bits in at the same time as connecting the power, but that is just what you manual was warning against. After working on computers for some time, it's easy to inadvertantly relax caution, and I must confess to doing things on a computer with the mains lead applied that are not really advisable, and if the computer power was switched on at the time the results could be quite costly. Even with the computer power switched off the 5V standby supply is on.

Changing a power supply is one of the easiest computer jobs. Note where all the cables came from and plug the new ones in. There will be a large connector, and possibly a smaller one to the motherboard, and a connector to each of the drives. Sometimes cooling fans are also linked into the power supply cables. When you have connected everything, tidy the cables so they are not obstructing the cooling airflow. A few tywraps will help keep the wiring tidy.

Dipso 22:14 29 Apr 04

Thanks. I will probably be replacing it tomorrow night, (bit late now), so I hope you are around just in case!

Gongoozler 22:29 29 Apr 04

Hi Dipso. What power supply are you fitting?

Dipso 22:33 29 Apr 04

It is Q-Tec ATX 350 Low Noise for an Athlon 750 with 1 CD Rw, 1 floppy and 1 hard drive. I know there is another fan so maybe that too.

Gongoozler 22:39 29 Apr 04

I've fitted a Q-Tec 450W (not the low noise version), and was very impressed with the quality for the price. The 350W should be ample for an Athlon 750.

Dipso 22:42 29 Apr 04

That's reassuring. I heard that they were budget and was advised to get a more expensive one but as it's not my main PC, I thought I would chance it.

Dipso 22:26 30 Apr 04

Just to update you. I replaced the PSU without any hitches. The fan is purring away (quietly!) at the side of me as I type.

Thanks again for your advice/reassurances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now