About my third post on problems formatting C:

Winston Churchill 13:12 16 May 03

This is about the third time that i have had problems formatting my hard drive, on my old pc by inserting several Win XP pro startup disks (about six of them that someone gave me the link to download from this forum) it would allow me to format the hard drive, but now that i have a Abit KD7-Raid (Athalon XP 2400 maxtor 19.5gb Hard Drive)when it looks for the hard drive it says that it can not find it, when the computer starts up it says that it is the 'secondary master' i think that it needs to be the 'Primary Master' am i correct? If so how do I change the settings? If i am worng what should i do?

Thanks

Tom.

stlucia 13:20 16 May 03

What is your HDD connected to? Normally it's status is determined by which socket it is connected to -- primary or secondary on the motherboard.

Winston Churchill 13:33 16 May 03

How do you know which is which?

Terrahawk 13:40 16 May 03

you should have 2 grey ribbons take out the one currently in your hard drive and then plug the second one in and see what you get this should change the drive to primary master

woodchip 13:53 16 May 03
  stlucia 14:13 16 May 03

There's two plugs for the IDE ribbon cables on the motherboard. Usually they are labelled '1' and '2' or 'primary' and 'secondary'. As Terrahawk says, if you can't see any label just plug your ribbon cable into the other socket instead of the one its in, and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…