About checkdisk in xp.

Meshuga 07:31 11 Jul 06

During a discussion it was stated that running chkdsk had the potential to wipe your hard drive. Is there any substance in this please as I have never seen any mention of this before? Incidentally, this discussion was not on this forum.

Meshuga 08:17 11 Jul 06

^^^

swapper 08:25 11 Jul 06

^

xania 08:53 11 Jul 06

Never heard this one before. Chkdsk merely checks the structure of the FAT and files - it will only write when it finds errors, and ewven then you can set it to ask permission before making any changes. Of course, your main risk is to your data, and this will already have been backed up, won't it!!

martjc 08:59 11 Jul 06

...No! Categorically. xania is quite right. The only thing I can think of is that it is JUST possible for chkdsk to corrupt the FAT file if the machine is switched off while writing to it. And even then, there is another copy of FAT which can be automatically used to replace when the corruption is found.

VoG II 09:08 11 Jul 06

I've never come across this but apparently it is possible. "The idea for this program originated from processing a disk with Scandisk -- which suddenly contained no data." click here

Meshuga 09:13 11 Jul 06

Many thanks xania and martjc, I agree with all you have said. I wanted other opinions before talking to the other person again. chkdsk itself would not cause problems but an unknowledgable user could but you can`t blame the prog for that. Many thanks again.

Meshuga 09:19 11 Jul 06

Many thanks for that VoG. It obviously hasn`t happenned often or it would have shown up on the forum and I would have thought that there would have been a fix for it by now. Regards, Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced