About Blank Homepage Hijack

albertpalbert 08:25 28 Jan 05

About Blank is doing my chuff in. I have updated Ad Aware, CWShredder, Hijack This and Buster and run all in Safe Mode. Restarted and clicked on IE and google comes up. This is good. Then the next time I open up IE I get About Blank again. It has also affected if I use my AOL browser.

Guys and Dolls, you have helped me out in the past so I wondered if there are any gems you can pass on to rid my PC of this.

Diodorus Siculus 08:40 28 Jan 05

LangaList Std Edition 2004-07-22
click here

Some more discussion here.

temp003 08:49 28 Jan 05

Try RubberDucky's AboutBuster utility. Download it, unzip, double click aboutbuster.exe and select update. After updating, select to scan. It will scan a couple of times. See if it works. click here

Mr A! 09:46 28 Jan 05

1. go to "my computer"
2. double click my "C:" drive
3. double click "search" from the menu bar
4. typed in "dll" without the quotes into the "search for files or folders named:" box
5. once the results were displayed, click the "modified" column to show the most recent date first.
6. find the date which closely matched the timing of the computer being hijacked.
7. right click the culprit dll
8. and delete it.

More info click here

Make sure you have your pc backed up first (i.e. system restore).

Nellie2 12:51 28 Jan 05

It really isn't a good idea to go deleting dll's willy nilly... especially with the 'about:blank problem as it isn't only dll's that are part of the infection but there are usually a couple of executable files too. They all monitor each other and if you don't get them all then you can just end up being re-infected.

Also, methods of fixing can depend on which variant of this infection you have and what your operating system is.

If you would like me to have a look then download Hijackthis from click here extract it into its own folder and then run it. Click on the scan and make log button and wait a little while, eventually a 'save as' box will pop up. Save the log somewhere convenient and than copy the full contents of the text file as a reply to this thread. It may take more than one post as there is an 800 word limit here.

Please don't try to fix anything yourself as a lot of what hijackthis lists is useful and even essential to the running of your PC. I'm at work now and lunchtime is almost over. But I will check back this evening.

Eargasm 13:48 28 Jan 05

I would urge you to take the advice of Nellie2.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and she sorted it click here.

The click here is just an example of her expertise.

No disrespect to the other posters, but nellie2 is an expert and am sure she will sort it for you.
Phil

click here For advice on manual removal of about blank hijack

albertpalbert 21:03 28 Jan 05

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\DOCUME~1\ALEX&T~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.dll/sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\DOCUME~1\ALEX&T~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.dll/sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank

VoG II 21:33 28 Jan 05

This is not the full monty! Please post the whole lot, including the header information. You may need several posts to do this because of the site's 80 word limit.

Nellie2 21:36 28 Jan 05

The version of hijackthis that you are using is very out of date.

Can you delete it and then download v1.99.0 from click here

Then download FxAgentB.exe from click here and save it to your desktop.

After downloading, double-click the FxAgentB file to run it and the program will scan your entire hard drive - this may take a while. When it is done, it will generate a log file called FxAgentB.log - save that information as you will need to paste it here later. Reboot when done.

Next click click here to download CWShredder by Merijn Bellekom and run it, hit 'fix' as opposed to 'scan only'.

Then click click here to download Ad-Aware SE and install. Before scanning click on "check for updates now" to make sure you have the latest reference file. Click "Start", select "Perform Full System scan" and "Next" to start the scan. When the scan is finished, the screen will tell you if anything has been found, click "Next". The bad files will be listed, right click the pane and click "Select all objects" - this will put a check mark in the box at the side, click "Next" again and click "OK" at the prompt "# objects will be removed. Continue?".

Reboot when done, and run hijackthis to generate a fresh hijack log, you can send that to me if you wish along with the FxAgentB log, I'll post them here for you.

Nellie2 21:49 28 Jan 05

Just incase you were wondering VoG... me and albertpalbert are doing the yellow envelope thing.. that's how I know he has got the wrong version of hjt. :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…