Aborted Acronis restore XP won't load

lester1 22:38 28 Aug 06

I stupidly aborted an Acronis restore, now windows will not load.The screen stays in DOS and askes for a boot floppy. I have tried booting with the Acronis disc but this does not show my USB drive in options.Windows repair has also failed with an error message of invalid drive path.Is a clean install my only option and,will I be able to reload Acronis and access my images afterwards.

Many thanks

woodchip 23:16 28 Aug 06

If you have Acronis CD you should be able to boot with that, then restore the Image you aborted. If the Image is on a CD you will have to change the CD's over after Acronis As loaded into Memory. That's why I only run Acronis from a Rescue CD that I created in Acronis I then boot with the CD and restore ether from another Partition or USB external Drive. Do's the above give you any Ideas?

lester1 23:26 28 Aug 06

Afraid not woodchip

The Acronis CD is marked "This is a bootable CD" but when loaded it does not show the external USB hard drive that contains any images I want in the restore options.The USb drive is not listed but the images are shown on the C drive, trying to select these gives gives an error message the the file is not recognised.

woodchip 23:34 28 Aug 06

Only thing I can think of, if you have Images on another drive is, First just clear the C:\ Drive then reload XP if you have the Disc and Key. Just so you can get to your Images to start the Reload

lester1 23:41 28 Aug 06

"Clear the C drive" I take it to mean that a Windows clean install is necessary. Then an install of acronis and hopefully a restore.

mgmcc 07:42 29 Aug 06

<<< The Acronis CD is marked "This is a bootable CD" but when loaded it does not show the external USB hard drive that contains any images I want in the restore options >>>

I have Acronis 9 and, when creating "Bootable Rescue Media", there is an option to create a "Safe version" or the "Full version". The SAFE version DOES NOT INCLUDE drivers for USB drives.

Do you have Acronis in a working PC that you can create the "Full version" boot CD with?

lester1 10:09 29 Aug 06

mgmcc

No other PC with Acronis installed.

I am running Acronis 9 the disc is marked "Bootable CD" so I did not bother burning another.

exodus 11:20 29 Aug 06

Do you have a Windows XP installation disc? If so, have you tried installing Windows XP and then Acronis True Image. Then run Acronis True Image and use the Restore Image options to restore your saved image from the usb drive.

A bit of a long winded workaround but it should give you access to your usb drive and saved image.

lester1 23:23 29 Aug 06

exodus

Done that the files show up in Acronis now but I get a message saying they are not achive files?

Bit of a bummer as I have now lost all of my original files/progs/music/e-mail etc.

I bought Acronis to stop this happening!

woodchip 23:31 29 Aug 06

That OK as they can be changed back when you get them back on to the Hard Drive. It Because you have saved the Image to CD or DVD, In Windows Explorer to change back to archive. with a list of files on the left click to top File then press the shift key and click on bottom file this will select all, or if you want to choose file use the control key in staid of shift. After selecting files right click on the Blue file Click properties and remove the read only attribut change to archive. This will do all the files selected in one go

exodus 23:55 29 Aug 06

If you still get stuck, this may help.
Have a look here at the first reply concerning the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…