able to see internet on home network but not share

rbrtsmrvll6 20:28 01 Apr 07

My desktop and laptop both run XPSP2amd along with a Netgear DG834G they have been able to access the internet and share a printer for about a year. The printer is attached to the desktop and the desktop uses aol silver.

Last week I found that the laptop could not print anything. The desktop can and I have made sure that the pinter is shared. I can stll access the internet from both. I cannot see a folder on the desktop PC even though it is set as shared. The printer is still shared but I can't see it from the laptop.

I checked on the device manager of the desktop and found under Network Adapters, Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE100TXv4) and PPPoEWin Miniport and on the laptop, 1394 Net Adapter #2, Intel(R)PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection and Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC.

Dous anybody have any ideas? I have checked that the desktop looks as though it is connected to the router.

woodchip 20:41 01 Apr 07

Start computers and Printers all that you want to share then Go into Network Wizard Create a Floppy when it asks you then use the floppy in both or all comps that are running

woodchip 20:42 01 Apr 07

Start computers and Printers all that you want to share then Go into Network Wizard Create a Floppy when it asks you then use the floppy in both or all comps that are running

rbrtsmrvll6 21:20 01 Apr 07

I am afraid that I got the same reult as before. When running netsetup on the laptop I was told, "Local area connection Realtek is disconnected - ignore?" ansering no causes a loop back to Local and answering yes looks fine but ends up unable to see the printer or shered folder on the desktop PC.

woodchip 21:29 01 Apr 07

It may be faulty ethernet cable

rbrtsmrvll6 22:20 01 Apr 07

I pulled out the only ethernet cable that I could see, reconnected it and was able to print from the desktop PC but not from the laptop which should be sending data wirelessly but it still can't see the shared printer or send to it.

Because of a disability I will need to wait until tomorrow to check out all the cables and then I'll get back for more help.

mocha 23:01 01 Apr 07

Go to My Network Places on the desktop and double click, then click on view network connections, You should have two types. LAN and Wireless. Make sure your Wireless Network Connection is Connected and is NOT disabled.

rbrtsmrvll6 11:19 02 Apr 07

Thanks Mocha

I have three groups of connections, Dial up, Internet Gateway and LAN but no Wireless. The desktop is connected by cable to the router so should the sesktop show a wireless connection?

woodchip 11:48 02 Apr 07

Click create Wireless Connection if it's WiFi if it a Card you should load the software and drivers for it

rbrtsmrvll6 18:01 02 Apr 07

Sorry woodchip, I couldn't quite follow that. Where would I find "Create Wireless Connection"?

woodchip 18:13 02 Apr 07

I think it's in Networks or Connections in Control Panel. Have a Digg

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac