Abiword

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 17:07 02 Apr 04

My son is always moning at me he cant do homework
because i dont have MS word so i thought i would look for altenates and found this click here

looks good any one had experience with it and would it be ok for a 14 year old and his homework.

Regards.

TomJerry 17:10 02 Apr 04

Get Openoffice click here. Do everything MS Office do and free. Even do something MS Office would not (such as pdf generation).He will be more than impressed.

Diodorus Siculus 17:50 02 Apr 04

I would second the suggestion of OpenOffice.org; Abiword is good mind you...

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 17:52 02 Apr 04

TomJerry, Looks good also,now im in 2 minds whitch to dload he usually brings home floppy disks with word docs on that he has saved from school so he can work on them at home and i dont have anything that can open and run them,well i have word pad but its "not the same" as he says,lol.

Regards.

Simsy 18:21 02 Apr 04

Open Office is good, but so is EasyOffice from click here This also has free pdf creation and a zipper/unzipper.

Also worth a look is 602 suite from 602 software, and Ability Office, whic is not free, but cheap. It has been on cover discs.

For straightforward documents they are all quite good... the problems come when graphics are involved.

ANother thing to consider is Microsoft Works SUITE... this is MSWorks, but also includes the full version of Word. There are plenty available on Ebay.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:30 02 Apr 04

I noticed that Abiword has a pluggin to input jpegs and bitmaps,i do know he looks sometimes for images for his homework and prints them out
on a seperate paper would this plugin allow him to put the image with his writing and save/print the whole lot in 1,insted of 1 with the text 1 with the image?.Sats they are a bummer lol.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:31 02 Apr 04

P.S yes i also need a app that can import and export(at school) word docs so he can use it there as well.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:33 02 Apr 04

Another Q, if i dload both would they run ok side by side or would that be bad.

Ideally i wont 1 that does all the things they both do in 1 app lol,i ask a lot i know.

Regards.

Diodorus Siculus 20:56 02 Apr 04

This is probably not to be recommended, but I have open office, star office and MSOffice 2k all on a win98 partition (mind you, I don't use it often...) and they work fine together, so you should not have any problems with it.

TomJerry 22:08 02 Apr 04

Openoffice is better because it got Component for "Word" (Open and Save doc file without any problem), and "Powerpoint" (actually better, it can save presentation as flash movie file) and "Excel". But Abiword only has Word.

Because your son do homework, he sometime may need to enter Math Formula which Openoffice can handle, but I am not sure about Abiword and Easyoffice.

There is another thing, Abiword initially designed for Unix so user interface is not very "Windows Friendly".

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:13 03 Apr 04

Thx have dloaded both going to try them 1 at a time see witch he likes best,cheers for the advice.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…