The ABC of a Wired Network

mun 20:40 04 Aug 04

Hi, firstly let me apologise for asking a basic question but since this is my first time with networks and broadband, can I spell out what I think is needed and then ask if someone can tell me if I have the right end of the stick??!!! I've looked at the archive posts and the netgear.co.uk web site but I'm still confused!

I'm trying to link at least 2 PC's together and also have both able to access the internet via Broadband (adsl NOT cable)directly.

My broadband provider is connecting up at the end of August but is not supplying a modem etc.
Both of my PC's have Network Cards (10/100 ones) and USB ports (and Microsoft XP). I want to put a telephone on the same connection.

So I figured if I buy a combined router/modem box that has 4 ports, I can do the following:
1) Connect the 2 PC's to the Modem/router using two Cat5(e) network cables with RJ45 connectors at each end.
2) Connect the modem/router to an ADSL splitter/filter and plug this filter into the BT socket. ( I presume the "connection" between the splitter and the router comes either with the router or the splitter, and is not an extra cable??)
3) Connect the telephone into the filter.

I do not need to use the USB ports. The power for the router is an external plug.
One further question is that even the words Broadband and ADSL seem to be used in different ways. The Netgear site says there's 3 different routers: ADSL, Wireless and Broadband. Wow! I thought ADSL and Broadband were the same! Do they mean Cable is one of these???

I hope I have this right,any help would be appreciated. If this is right but others feel that there is a better way of doing it,I'd love to hear that too!
Thanks,
John

johnnyrocker 20:44 04 Aug 04

click here and click here should help you out.

johnny.

mun 05:48 05 Aug 04

thanks johnnyrocker. Those links are very useful technical links and the linksys one has some good pictures. In particular, the "BEFSR Tech Helper" section under:
click here
was useful for photos and this may be good for others reading this post.

However,although I believe I was correct in saying that the PC's each connect to the modem/router using Cat5/RJ45 cable and connectors, and that I don't need USB, I'm still struggling with my other questions above. Is there a website that is not so technical and deals with "idiot" questions. I'm sure I'm not the first person to need this??

Thanks again,
John

Rigga 09:09 05 Aug 04

Mun,

What you have already suggested sounds fine to me, and is pretty much the same as my home setup.

Go for it!

R.

mun 08:27 07 Aug 04

Thanks Rigga,
apologies for the delay in coming back to you. Its good to know you've been through this before and come out of the other side! Sounds like I need to just get ordering!
Thanks again,
John

Forum Editor 08:58 07 Aug 04

Why don't you just buy a wireless router (which comes with an ADSL modem built in) and set up your network that way?

You'll need:

1. An ADSL wireless router - something like the Netgear DG834G at around £79:00 This has its own ADSL modem and built in firewall.

2. A couple of wireless network adapters - one for each machine. The easiest type to instal are USB models, and I suggest Netgear WG111 adapters at £37: 00 or thereabouts. These devices are tiny - like those USB pen drives - and work flawlessly.

That's all you need to set up wireless broadband sharing that will work all over your house. To network the two machines just run the Windows XP networking wizard - very simple and reliable.

A couple of tips:

1. When setting up your network don't forget that it's essential to use the same workgroup name for both computers - you'll be offered the Microsoft default of MSHOME, but use any name you like - and unless you do this the network won't work.

2. Give each computer a unique name on the network when prompted.

3. When installing the USB wireless adapters make sure that you install the software first, then plug in the adapter.

Otherwise you'll find the whole thing pretty easy to set up and configure, and you won't have CAT5 cable trailing all over the place.

Forum Editor 09:01 07 Aug 04

that of course you can use a telephone on the same line at the same time - just plug the router into the appropriate socket on the microfilter and the phone into the other socket - they're both marked. You'll need a microfilter on every phone extension socket in the house by the way, even if you don't plan to use a computer on them. The phones won't work properly unless you do this.

mun 10:30 07 Aug 04

Thanks for the post FE.
I'll look into the Wireless stuff again, the attractions are obvious (I've printed off that setup you gave me which should prove very useful). I'm completely green on this area but my initial investigations seemed to show that the Wireless may give me less security and less bandwidth -how true these are in the real world, I have no idea but I'd appreciate your comments if you know more.

At the moment my 2 PC's are very close to each other in our house, but I guess the wireless (amongst other things)would enable us to watch a DVD (played on a PC upstairs) downstairs on a TV with the right set up and no long lengths of wire. It's flexible enough that you could be working on your laptop outside in the garden with a long cool drink.........

Anyway, thanks again,
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…