AARRGGHH!! - I've done it again

dagbladet 16:00 09 Oct 03

A mate sent me some .dat files by e-mail. once downloaded they had that windows flag on them. I went to open the first one and was asked which program I wanted to open it in. I then made two mistakes in as many seconds. A) I forgot to uncheck the "always open with this program" box. B) I hit winzip. They aren't winzip files and now the following 23 have all got that winzip clamp thing logo on them. Can I reverse this anybody ?
And what is a .dat file.

Taff36 16:05 09 Oct 03

You need to tell us what OS you are using because the method of changing file associations is different. Try typing FILE ASSOCIATIONS into help in explorer and see what it says.

Gongoozler 16:05 09 Oct 03

Hi dagbladet. Yes you can undo the file association. You just reassociate the file type with another application. A .dat file is just a data file used in various applications. click here

dagbladet 16:16 09 Oct 03

Sorry forgot the basics
Win 98
The files apparently contain text only, they are reports.

Taff36 16:17 09 Oct 03

But what would he associate these DAT files with?
I presume he now has every DAT file on his computer associated with Winzip.

dagbladet 16:18 09 Oct 03

Gongoozler, how do I reassociate the file type with another application. when i click on them, winzip automatically opens.

Legolas 16:27 09 Oct 03

Right click the file choose 'open with' then choose the program you want the file to be associated with.

dagbladet 16:31 09 Oct 03

"open with" not offered

Taff36 16:38 09 Oct 03

Repeat - What Operating System are you using?

Legolas
Even if we find out the OS what are .dat files supposed to be associated with. In XP they are "unknown application" but you can`t change a known file type such as .doc to unknown application. I fear this is a registry solution but am getting out of my depth.

Elyvate 16:41 09 Oct 03

usually you have to push SHIFT and right click on the item to get "open with"

beeuuem 16:42 09 Oct 03

To get "open with" - highlight file, "shift" and right click.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…