A8N5X onboard sound fails intermittently

Jonno_G 09:46 28 Mar 06

I have recently built a system using an ASUS A8N5X mobo, but the sound frequently misbehaves.

Initially it would play all audio types, WAV files, MP3's, CD's etc. but now it will only play play a CD by using either the AV Rack software supplied with the mobo or with Nero's media player as supplied with the DVD-RW drive. If I try to use Windows Media Player 10 (with all updates/codecs installed) it gives an error message stating that the media cannot be played because the audio device is in use by another program.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling theaudio drivers, I have even replaced them with the updated versions. All of the Windows updates are installed up to yesterday.

I have tried disabling the AV Rack software from running at startup, as I thought that might be the "other program" that was using the audio device, but to no avail.

I am fairly sure that it is a software issue, rather than a hardware issue, as it worked fine initially but now only works rarely, and gives a software related error message when it does fail.

I have tried everything I could come up with, so hopefully someone here can help me out.

TIA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…