A8N-SLi Deluxe - fresh XP install - really slow!

Hi,

I've just built myself a new computer based on the Asus AN8-SLi Deluxe motherboard. It boots no problem and recognises all the components in the bios. I then insert the WindowsXP SP1 disk into the drive and setup begins. The part where it says "Setup is Copying Files - This may take a few minutes", takes about 30mins to complete. Then when windows begins installing - it says "Setup should complete in approx. 39mins"...4hours later, the setup completes!

After Windows is installed, it takes about 3/4mins to boot up and display the desktop. After this, everything is really slow and juddery (accessing My Computer will take about 30secs before everything is display).

To start with I thought this could be a problem with the hard drive - so i reformatted it and installed windows for a second time (again taking about 4 hours) I then tested a different hard drive (this time IDE) but it does the same thing. The RAM was the final thing I could test - but in my old system it works fine!

That leaves either the CPU, Motherboard or Graphics Card to be faulty (all of which I can't test) or I have set something up incorrectly...Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Full System Spec:

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
AMD Athlon64 3000+ (Venice)
Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 160GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache
XFX Geforce 6600GT PCI-E 128mb

Thanks in Advance, Dan

Skyver 00:40 06 Dec 05

Things may have moved on since what I am about to suggest was the case, but did you have to press F6 during the XP setup to load SATA drivers?

PaulB2005 07:54 06 Dec 05

You don't need the drivers with that board unless you are using the RAID Array.

No I didn't have to press F6 - I'm using a single hard drive (no raid). Any more suggestions plz?

keef66 15:20 06 Dec 05

I read in one review of this mobo that for unbuffered ram you might benefit from altering memory timing in the bios from 1t to 2t (under DRAM config)
Might explain sluggish performance and lengthy windoze install??

keef66 15:26 06 Dec 05

Another thought, and something I have overlooked in the past:- Have you installed the Nvidia chipset drivers from the Asus support CD??

PaulB2005 15:41 06 Dec 05

"Have you installed the Nvidia chipset drivers from the Asus support CD??"

Doesn't / won't explain 4 hours to install Windows.

keef66 15:42 06 Dec 05

no, but it might explain the sluggish performance now

PaulB2005 15:45 06 Dec 05

But if it took 4 hours to install Windows then the problem can't be the chipset drivers. They don't get installed until after Windows is installed and i have the same motherboard. It doesn't take 4 hours.

I get your point about the performance now but I'd also be worried about the 4 hour Windows installation.

keef66 16:04 06 Dec 05

Me too. I've had problems with very long or incomplete installs which were eventually traced to faulty RAM (both sticks, just to confuse matters)
I traced the fault by downloading memtest86 and running it from a bootable floppy; perhaps [email protected] should try it??

PaulB2005 16:12 06 Dec 05

Good call.... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017