A7N8X Dual Channel DDR

Paranoid Android 00:44 28 Mar 05

Hi - I already know I about using DDR in dual channel mode by using two identical RAM chips in slots 1 and 3.

What I/m not sure of is whether adding an extra stick of DDR, at slot 2, will kill the dual channel mode or carry on regardless. Otherwise, what's the point of 3 slots ?

The manual isn't very clear on this point. Anyone tried it ?

Any ideas ?

Ta - Marv.

DieSse 00:49 28 Mar 05

Dual Channel uses two seperate memory sticks, and accesses then in an interleaved fashion, for increased speed.

There is no way of interleaving access between an odd number of sticks - just ain't possible.

User-312386 01:05 28 Mar 05

Now can we have that in normal speak.....LOL

DieSse 01:18 28 Mar 05

With DC the system can talk to two memory sticks almost at the same time - thus almost doubling the memory speed. It needs a bit of time for co-ordnating the accesses, hence it's not actually up to double the speed. It's also very trcky co-ordinting the accesses correctly, hence the need for the two sticks to be very closely matched to each other.

This trick cannot be worked with three sticks - so adding a third stick will disable the Dual Channel mode, though it will allow you to increase your memory size without having to buy two replacement matched larger modules.

goonerbill © ® 03:56 28 Mar 05

must disagree with you DieSse. have A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo and it has 3 sticks of mem and is running in dual mode (according to the bios any way). have 256mb in slots 1 & 3 and 512mb in slot 2. using any combination of memory in slots 1 & 2 pc runs in single mode. having 256mb in 1 & 3 or the above setup it runs in duel mode.

Kinetic 04:21 28 Mar 05

goonerbill © ® is your 512mb generic or is it the same make as your matched pair.

Paranoid Android
Sorry to but in on your thead. I'm just interested.

Paranoid Android 10:25 28 Mar 05

Thanks goonerbill © ®, that gives me a bit more confidence to get an extra RAM chip and try it.

Further responses invited.

goonerbill © ® 12:46 28 Mar 05

512mb is made buy twinmos but the 2 sticks of 256mb are just standard memory picked up at comp. fair but did check that memory timings where the same.

thms 13:00 28 Mar 05

I have the A7N8X-E Deluxe and the manual states
memory configurations Dual-Channel Slots = 1&3 or 2&3 or 1,2&3. So all three slots may be populated.

I currently have all three slots populated and at post states dual channel working.

2x256mb and 1x512mb

Storik 13:41 28 Mar 05

I have THREE 512MB memory sticks, and they too are running in dual mode. Must agree! Same board too as Paranoid Android.

Storik 13:50 28 Mar 05

Sorry we seemed to be typing at the same time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…