a2 showing 18 malware after up-date

lester1 00:07 09 Feb 06

just got my 98se pc back up and running. After up-dating a2 the scan showed 18 malware thinking nothing of it I went ahead and cleaned them.

Now going on-line with my XP pc I am getting the same message from a2 although I up-date regularly. Scans with Spybot,Adaware ,Ms Antisyware,and Sky defence show no Malware. Ewido found nothing but the scan finnished OK BUT WITH THE PROGRESS BAR AT 60%.

Any ideas

Skills 00:11 09 Feb 06

Prob a dodgy update if everything else is coming back clean

lester1 00:16 09 Feb 06

What on 2 pc's

CurlyWhirly 01:28 09 Feb 06

It wouldn't by any chance be spyware cookies would it?

I have quite often had a few of these and I always delete them though they are not really worth worrying about.

Newuser2 09:16 09 Feb 06

Use and run this weekly this click here. Comes highly recommended.

p;3 09:32 09 Feb 06

of interest; my scan with the updated modules has given me a return of 21 objects, all of which I recognise as the VNC items that are legit on my pc;suggest you study each line to see if you recognise what the items relate to; not all this program brings up as malware IS malware; you know your pc? study the entries and ask back if you are not sure if something is malicious or not?:)

lester1 17:04 09 Feb 06

I run Crap Cleaner after every internet session.

Looking at the entries they seem to be mainly Kazza

bluto1 23:04 09 Feb 06

lester1,
After the multiple downloads from A2 yesterday and today I ran a scan and ended up with 26 malware objects. Because of that (illogical) I ran Avast4 anti virus and picked up a virus/worm. There`s a first time for everything, eh?

Wuggy 00:35 10 Feb 06

Updated a2 as well and on first scan found 20 odd 'malware' items that it hadn't found the day before. Seemed to all be related to Limewire and other P2P progs. A2 wanted to delete a number of registry keys AND the entire Limewire folder from C:\Program Files\Limewire.
Left everything as it was and ran scans with Adaware, Spybot S & D, Microsoft Antispyware, Ewido, AVG and Microsoft Malware Removal tool for January 06. None of them picked up on any of the Limewire entries found by a2. Could the latest update from a2 have re-classified what it regards as malware?

lester1 01:24 10 Feb 06

Yup same as me only I thought well better to delete and guess what lime wire disappeared.

Another up date and guess what 3 malware found and yes they where lime wire. I think you are correct in your assumption that a2 now classifies these as malware. BTW I have been using Spy defence for a while and it always identified Lime Wire as malware.

Don't know how a2 found another 3 thou?

Wuggy 02:54 10 Feb 06

I have had a look at the a2 forum on Emisoft's web site. Quite a number of people there complaining/querying the same thing. It looks as though it's the "Scan for Spyware traces" part of the scan which is picking up these entries. This can be disabled by taking the tick out of it's box on the Scan page.
You are correct that Spy Defence also identifies Limewire but at least it gives you the option to 'Ignore'. Personally I have disabled the Spyware Trace part of the scan in a2 to prevent me (or some other family member) inadvertantly deleting programs which I wish to keep.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…