a2- any good ?

gedr 19:12 28 Feb 05

Are there any known problems with a2, free or paid for, and is it
adequate on it's own ?

Cheers, gedr.

Jackcoms 19:18 28 Feb 05

No problems that I know of. It's more than adequate, but usually used in tandem with the likes of Adaware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

I use it all the time and it's regularly recommended in this Forum.

dogbreath1 19:29 28 Feb 05

I've got the free version and it scans trouble free. Updates are frequent. But I would not use it in isolation. It works, I believe, using signatures. It's handy to also use other scanners which utilise heuristics/generics/code sequence identification technonlogies to make it more likely that unknown variants of recognised signatures are detected. It's also a good idea to have real time protection as well (which a2 doesn't provide). I scan regularly with Ad-Aware, a2, Spybot Search and Destroy and CWShredder. I have Microsoft Antispyware Beta and SpywareGuard running in the background together without causing any slowdown on my system. Oh and I use SpywareBlaster as well, which although it doesn't give real time protection as such, prevents the installation of ActiveX based spyware, adware, browser hijackers etc. etc.. Each of these programs work in different ways and seem to spot things that others don't. So don't rely on one application.

Bapou 19:34 28 Feb 05

I use A2 (free) along with Ad-Aware - Spybot - Blaster. One time caught a dialler which the others missed, although I still consider A2 as part of the team not a lone player.

Meshuga 19:39 28 Feb 05

I echo the advice already given above. You should not rely on one prog alone. The others are all free so why not use them.

gedr 20:00 28 Feb 05

Thanks everyone, I didn't realize there were so many free ones,
without all your advice I would have thought so many would argue with each other.

Cheers everybody, gedr.

sunny staines 20:56 28 Feb 05

I have had the free version of A2 for a couple of months it has not yet found anything. I use as it is used by our regular experts here it must be worth having so I have added it to my spyware pack which includes spybot,adaware,spywareblaster & microsoft beta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…