98se to xp

blobbies 19:12 25 Jun 06

I now want to upgrade my os from 98se to xp how easy/hard is it to do and what is required

please advise

gerrol

wobblymike 19:14 25 Jun 06

Please provide the spec of your PC - Processor speed, amount of RAM, size of hard drive

wobblymike 19:26 25 Jun 06

Please don't send e mails unless you are invited too, this is a forum for people to learn as well as help - I have copied your e mail

athlon duron 1300 ram 256 40gb hd

This spec is fine for XP - you will need a Windows XP OS disc with licence, a method of reformatting and partitioning, if you wish, your hard drive, I recommend downloading and using the appropriate utility from your HDD manufacturer e.g. maxblast if you have a maxtor hard drive.
You need to consider your peripheral devices which may not work at all or may need updated drivers - modem (are you dial up or broadband)- sound card or sound system if built into your mobo - printer - scanner etc.

Post back when you have considered the above.

blobbies 19:30 25 Jun 06

wobblymike
many thanks
regards
gerrol

DieSse 19:38 25 Jun 06

Note that you only need to buy the upgrade version of XP, which is less costly than the full version.

Also note than WinXP itself can format and partition your drive - you don't need any other software to do this.

There are two ways you can do the upgrade - straight from where you with Win98 - of saving all your work and installing XP from scratch onto a clean drive.

Both ways have some advantages - I would recommend a clean install - but you will need your Win98 CD at some point, to prove that you have one, the WinXP upgrade CD will ask you to insert it.

In any case it pays to save all your data first - it could, at worst, all go wrong, and you don't want that to happen unless you've got your data saved, of course.

DieSse 19:39 25 Jun 06

Repeat

There are two ways you can do the upgrade - straight from where you are with Win98 - OR saving all your work and installing XP from scratch onto a clean drive.

blobbies 16:50 26 Jun 06

dieSse

many thanks

gerrol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…