98se to xp

oldnovice 20:08 09 Feb 04

I am waiting delivery of new pc the one i am now useing is 98se new one xp i've downloaded xp drivers for printer and scanner is there anything else worth downloading in preparation for xp.

Thanks

leo49 20:14 09 Feb 04

Could well be a very sensible precaution to download the Blaster patch from M$ so that you can install it before you go online to update your new OS.

TommyRed 21:45 09 Feb 04

I updated the same as you 98SE to XP home. What I did was take an image (used Acronis True Image 6.0) of the hdd when the majority of my programmes where loaded, only got a 'Restore' cd with it which restores it back to factory settings. Found I couldn't get on with XP's own Cd-rw software, so disabled it and installed Nero 6 from click here . Also as only MS Works pre-installed had to install MS office so the majority of my documents would open. I'd also downloaded and burned to cd-r on my 98SE PC a firewall and AV program so I could install it prior to going on-line. Leave your AV until the last so its got the latest updates and check once you're on-line. As I had quite a lot of spare time before XP arrived I downloaded and burned to cd-r the likes of Adobe Reader 6, WinZip, Spybot, Ad-Aware etc in fact anything I could think of that might come in handy ie Belarc Advisor which I haven't installed but just left on the disc for when it's needed. HTH TR

oldnovice 05:07 10 Feb 04

Thanks leo 49 and TommyRed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now