98se to xp

oldnovice 20:08 09 Feb 04

I am waiting delivery of new pc the one i am now useing is 98se new one xp i've downloaded xp drivers for printer and scanner is there anything else worth downloading in preparation for xp.

Thanks

leo49 20:14 09 Feb 04

Could well be a very sensible precaution to download the Blaster patch from M$ so that you can install it before you go online to update your new OS.

TommyRed 21:45 09 Feb 04

I updated the same as you 98SE to XP home. What I did was take an image (used Acronis True Image 6.0) of the hdd when the majority of my programmes where loaded, only got a 'Restore' cd with it which restores it back to factory settings. Found I couldn't get on with XP's own Cd-rw software, so disabled it and installed Nero 6 from click here . Also as only MS Works pre-installed had to install MS office so the majority of my documents would open. I'd also downloaded and burned to cd-r on my 98SE PC a firewall and AV program so I could install it prior to going on-line. Leave your AV until the last so its got the latest updates and check once you're on-line. As I had quite a lot of spare time before XP arrived I downloaded and burned to cd-r the likes of Adobe Reader 6, WinZip, Spybot, Ad-Aware etc in fact anything I could think of that might come in handy ie Belarc Advisor which I haven't installed but just left on the disc for when it's needed. HTH TR

oldnovice 05:07 10 Feb 04

Thanks leo 49 and TommyRed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…