98SE USB 2.0 card & wireless adapter

Sapins 15:38 03 Jan 06

I have a Pentium 111, 650Mhz, 512mb RAM running 98SE, is there any reason I can't install a USB 2 card because of an older motherboard which is an Intel Mount Prospect MP440BX. I have Everest installed which will give me the info on the system, so is there anything that Everest will tell me to indicate I can/cannot install this card? Windows USB 2.0 support is listed in add/remove programmes.

I have just tested the USB 1.1 with an external drive which installed ok with the drivers from the CD. it shows as working in device manager but it does not show in My Computer and I can't access it.

Sapins 15:39 03 Jan 06

Should have also said a USB 2.0 wireless adapter will not install, I thought it should and be backwards compatible.

woodchip 15:42 03 Jan 06

You will not get USB 2 to work, On 98se I know as nobody as tried more than me. So I have to to run External drive at 1,1. I only get 2 on my XP comps

The Adapter should work if you have Win98 drivers

Sapins 15:47 03 Jan 06

Hi woodchip, the USB card says driver for 98SE is on CD, will that not work?

mgmcc 15:55 03 Jan 06

<<< it shows as working in device manager but it does not show in My Computer and I can't access it. >>>

Has the external drive been partitioned? It won't appear in "My Computer" until it has been partitioned, when it will get a drive letter, and then you can format it.

The other possibility is that it has actually been formatted as NTFS for use with Windows XP. Windows 98 cannot access an NTFS drive, but this is less likely if the drive is new as they are normally formmatted as FAT32 if at all.

woodchip 15:59 03 Jan 06

It will only work if the driver fits the chipset on the motherboard, then it may not. As Via, SIS, Intel, Ali etc. check you Mobo Chip and the Driver CD in Win Explorer for the chipset patch file

woodchip 16:00 03 Jan 06

PS My External EIDE Drive works OK on 98 but slow compared to XP

mgmcc 16:01 03 Jan 06

<<< USB card says driver for 98SE is on CD, will that not work? >>>

I have installed a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card in Windows 98SE without a problem, but I know that a lot of Windows 98 users have been unable to get USB 2.0 to work; I believe it depends on the actual chipsets involved.

Sapins 16:11 03 Jan 06

Talk about overlooking the obvious, I have formatted the drive in NTFS for my XP machine, what a wally!

The chipset is an Intel, as I took the USB card back I'll have to check the driver when I buy another one.

Thanks for you help woodchip and mgmcc, much appreciated,

Regards,

Sapins

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…