98se upgrade to xp

pookie 11:03 07 Feb 03

Hi guys

windows 98se, 1.9 athlon, 512 pc2100 Mb ddr, ecs k7 s5a mobo, 4.1 digital creative soundcard, gainward ti4200 64Mb, proview monitor.

Tonight I'll be upgrading to xp home edition (thanks spook). I've checked on manufacturers websites and there do seem to be xp drivers for all my hardware (I can't find modem on web ,Conextant, but I'll worry about that later).

So, from reading others posts, it's just a case of loading up 98se as norm, put in upgrade disk and there should be an option to test for compatibilty. Run this and download any drivers it pulls up as needed. Then click on 'upgrade'/'update' options and this will install xp home edition whilst keeping my 98se settings. Yeah or neah?
(I have uninstalled norton antivirus 2001 as I read that it can mess up/not compatible with xp upgrade).

Also, the new magazine 'windows xp users', or something like that, has a disk with 20 critical updates. Once xp is installed should I just install these updates from the magazine or will I already have them as my 98se has all current updates for it already? Sory if that is a stupid question.

Anything else I need to know? I've been thinking of upgrading to xp for sometime so please no negative vibes man.

Thanks as usual
P

AndySD 11:41 07 Feb 03

When you click on upgrade it will not update drivers. You will need to download these...best to do it first and save them to the C Drive.

You may want to look for a cover disk with Windows XPSP1 (Service Pack One)on it if the version you have is not SP1.

Otherwise you should have no problems.

pj123 13:10 07 Feb 03

Forget it, stay with 98se. I tried it and very soon went back to Win98se.

pookie 13:15 07 Feb 03

I didn't want to hear that matey :-)

1st RHA 13:35 07 Feb 03

xp is fine and far more stable and hands off, however if you have found drivers on line you MUST have modem up and running, sort this first!!!.

1st RHA 13:35 07 Feb 03

xp is fine and far more stable and hands off, however if you have found drivers on line you MUST have modem up and running, sort this first!!!.

1st RHA 13:37 07 Feb 03

I failed to do this and went and bought a new V.92 modem (fast handshake) only 14 quid and solved all the problem.

Get that V.92 and you will not regret it. (only gives fast handshake with 2000 and xp otherwise standard)

AndySD 14:40 07 Feb 03

Conextant is a well known modem and normally XP will allow you to use it as a standard modem untill you load the correct drivers. click here and look for the drivers.

pj123 14:49 07 Feb 03

Sorry, buts that life>?

Dr Lecter 14:50 07 Feb 03

I was in the same situ as you sometime i go.There is no XP driver for my modem (supraexpress). So i got a new modem with XP drivers supplied with it. Then i discovered that there were no XP drivers for my Soundcard, Graphics card etc. At present my system is very stable, better than Win98 at anyrate.

pookie 19:21 07 Feb 03

well - here goes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…