98se system restore

chrisak 11:40 29 Jul 05

I am running windows 98se. Everytime I start up and shut down the floppy drive makes a funny noise, someone said I need to do a system restore and take it back about 3 wks, to when I didnt have the noise, but I cant find how to do it. Any ideas???

pj123 12:32 29 Jul 05

Win 98SE doesn't have a System Restore only a Registry Restore and that only goes back to the last 5 times it was booted.

You would need something like Go Back or other 3rd party software but even that wouldn't help at the moment as it needs to build up a record of you bootup history first.

The "funny noise" is probably your system checking the floppy disk drive and finding no floppy disk present. Depending on your BIOS you maybe be able to "Disable Floppy Drive Seek".

pj123 12:33 29 Jul 05

Win 98SE doesn't have a System Restore only a Registry Restore and that only goes back to the last 5 times it was booted.

You would need something like Go Back or other 3rd party software but even that wouldn't help at the moment as it needs to build up a record of you bootup history first.

The "funny noise" is probably your system checking the floppy disk drive and finding no floppy disk present. Depending on your BIOS you maybe be able to "Disable Floppy Drive Seek".

pj123 12:34 29 Jul 05

chrisak 13:11 29 Jul 05

If I disable Floppy Drive Seek what happens if i need to use floppy drive?

pj123 13:47 29 Jul 05

You can still use the floppy drive as normal. Disabling "Seek" just tells the system not to keep checking to see if there is a floppy disk in.

You should also have "Floppy Drive Swap" disabled as well in the BIOS (unless, of course, you want to use the floppy drive as A: and B:) Not many people require that these day though.

chrisak 14:03 29 Jul 05

So how can I disable it please?

pj123 14:16 30 Jul 05

To get in to the BIOS start your computer and keep hitting, either, the Delete key or F2 key (depending on your system)

You should eventually get a blue screen with all your settings

Using the arrow keys on your keyboard select “Advanced Setting” and press enter.

There should be something like: Floppy Drive Swap and Floppy Drive Seek. Both can be Disabled. If they are not scroll down to each in turn and using the Page Down key change the setting.

When that’s done press Esc and then F10 and press Enter. You computer will now boot to windows.

If they are already Disabled then that is not the cause of your problem and we will have to look elsewhere.

ACOLYTE 14:20 30 Jul 05

It also may be that you have used the floppy drive recently and didnt close it right,in that case put a floppy in,open it and select file close,dont click the X close button.

Stuartli 15:50 30 Jul 05

Windows 98SE's "System Restore" equivalent is made available by pressing F8 after booting up.

From the menu, select Command Prompt. Enter scanreg /restore (note the space before the forward slash). Press Enter.

You will then be given a choice of five recent registry backups; choose the most appropriate.

The five default backups can easily be increased by modifying MaxBackUps = 5 in the Registry to a higher figure.

By one of those strange coincidences, I had to use this route this morning when my best mate's business system started playing tricks following a split second power cut in the area yesterday.

My XP Pro system shut down instantly, but fortunately was OK on bootup.

Stuartli 15:56 30 Jul 05

Contrary to belief, 98SE's Registry backups are not done in switch-on, switch-off sequence and there's no (apparent) pattern.

In this morning's case, the first backup was for yesterday and the previous one, which was the eventual choice, was for July 27th. The other three backups covered several days' use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…