98se Only Starts in Safe Mode

Lettervanman 13:07 10 Dec 05

Friends computer will only start in safe mode. If Normal is selected result is a black screen with message "it is now safe to turn your computer off.If you wish to restart use Ctrl-Alt-Del" And a flashing cursor.Three finger shuffle does nothing and you can't type at the cursor.
Press reset button on tower results in safe mode start. I have tried MSCONFIG and deselected start up items,no luck.I have tried Scanreg/Restore which was processed but still get safe mode start.
Any suggestions please?

Skills 14:09 10 Dec 05

Was anything installed or drivers updated before the problem occured?

Have you checked for virus/spyware?

Any error messages at all?

MichelleC 14:36 10 Dec 05

Have a look in device manager for any yellows and replace drivers if so.

woodchip 14:54 10 Dec 05

start with 98 cd rerun setup over it's self. you should disable all anti-virus to do the above. set the bios to boot with cd as first drive it looks for

Lettervanman 16:01 10 Dec 05

Computer was running o.k. before friend went on holiday,or so she says! As far as I can tell nothing new was installed recently. I also have thought about a virus but antivirus is installed. No error messages,only what I have posted. No yellows in device manager.
Thought about rerun setup over it's self but worried if this would clear stuff on the hard drive that she would neeed.

Wak 16:15 10 Dec 05

Hi, if you wish to email me via the little yellow envelope near my name I can send you a 24KB .DOC file which covers all Start-up problems with Win95, 98SE and ME.
It was issued by a well known Computer Mag in 2001 and has been very useful in the past.
Wak.

woodchip 16:21 10 Dec 05

Reloading windows will not remove files like docs etc

Number 7 16:21 10 Dec 05

Have look at this: click here

Lettervanman 09:24 11 Dec 05

I will work through them all when I next visit my friend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…