98se and nvidia drivers problem

benjamin1441 22:29 10 Mar 04

I've put 98se on an older p2, with an MX440 gforce4 128mb video card, but I can't get the detonator drivers to work with it. I've tried the older drivers as well as the new ones, but none of them work. I don't think it's the bios, because before it had XP installed on it, and detonator drivers, and they worked fine. So I guess it's either a clash between the drivers and 98se, or a clash between the video card itself and 98se. (I checked irq9 and it's not sharing anything) Anyone shed any light? Cheers, Ben

Chegs ® 23:29 10 Mar 04

Might be the older mobo hasn't the port speeds to run a quick card.

Gongoozler 07:34 11 Mar 04

Hi Ben. I've installed both GF2 MX400 and GF4 MX440 cards in Windows 98se systems, so I don't think the problem is there. The AGP speed shouldn't be a problem because the card should just accept the AGP speed it gets. The main difference between old AGP and newer ones is the signal voltage level. AGP1 uses 3V, AGP2 uses 1.5V and the latest AGP3 uses .8V. You should, however, be able to use AGP2 and AGP3 cards in AGP1 slots (but not the other way round). (AGP1 is 2x, AGP2 is 2x and 4x, AGP3 is 4x and 8x). So I suspect that either the latest drivers aren't working properly with Windows 98, the backwards compatibility of AGP isn't as complete as it is intended to be or the drivers aren't properly installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…