98SE No sound.

Sapins 16:49 02 Feb 05

I have re-installed 98SE on what was my original system which I bought in 2000. I still have the original sound card. I have a new DVD Rom Drive which works ok installing programmes but I cannot get any sound from music CD's. I have also installed a new Graphics card, a Radeon 9250. The motherboard is the original.

In Device manager under Other Devices there are: PCI Communication Device and PCI Multimedia Audio Device with Yellow ? beside them. I also have a message when I double click on these devices that "no driver is installed, Code 28"

Everything was working ok up to installing XP Home about 18months ago. I have tried re-installing the drivers from the Gateway System CD to no avail.

What can I try next?

ACOLYTE 16:53 02 Feb 05

Are you planing to put XP back on the pc? if so maybe this would load the drivers from its own data base,the other is a modem i think,1 think when you installed the dvd did you connect the audio lead to the back?

SANTOS7 16:55 02 Feb 05

have you tried uninstalling, reinstalling the card and dowmloading updated drivers for this device rather than from the CD.............

Sapins 17:12 02 Feb 05

ACOLYTE, I'm keeping 98SE on this system as we will just use it for graphics work. I agree the other device is the modem card which I will probably take out. I did connect the cable from the drive to the card.

SANTOS7, Haven't tried this but I will now, I should be able to use the driver from the Gateway CD.

Sapins 17:26 02 Feb 05

SANTOS7, just done as you suggested and it has worked a treat, many thanks to you both for your help,

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…