98se & external hard drive

denali 16:33 16 Mar 06

I have an 40g external HD on my machine -XP Pro -
At the weekend my daughter loaded masses of stuff on it and took it back to Uni. She phoned and said her machine -98se - does not recognize the drive. Is there anything I need, or can do, to make it work. I feel sorry for her because she spent hours searching and downloading tons of stuff. Many thanks

stlucia 16:36 16 Mar 06

What kind of drive? With my Maxtor, so far as I recall, I had to install drivers for it to work with 98SE. With XP I don't need them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:36 16 Mar 06

Probably needs drivers for 98se

What make model?

woodchip 16:38 16 Mar 06

The reason may be that it's formated as NTFS, and Win98se is Fat32 it cannot see NTFS. But it will work the other way Round NTFS can see Fat32 Partitions

denali 16:43 16 Mar 06

stlucia & Fruit Bat /\0/\ It is a Toshiba MK4025GAS

woodchip. You are 100% right. Is there anyway round it?

woodchip 16:52 16 Mar 06

Only to chang the file system to Fat32. It may work if you used a suite of tools that I use for partitioning. Acronis Disc Director Suit 10 click here

cannot promise it will be able to change it but if this cannot do it then it will mean starting from fresh with the drive

woodchip 16:57 16 Mar 06

PS if there is enough room on the drive you could use this software to slit the drive creating a Fat32 partition then move the info to that but you would have to do it on a NTFS computer

denali 17:00 16 Mar 06

woodchip. Thank you. My daughter just phoned and another girl in her dorm has xp. She put everything on DVD so at he weekend I shall format her laptop and install xp. Thank you for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…