98SE cannot get past Desktop.

Sapins 20:10 20 Jul 04

I have just returned from a friends house, he's a member of our little "Computer Club", he has 98SE installed on a 4 year old system, each time we attempted to start it up we got a different problem. The only clues we have are; most times it will not boot at all, it sometimes reaches the second Windows 98 screen then the monitor screen goes black, it occasionally reached the desktop, on 2 occasions it emitted a 3second long beep, repeated at short intervals, the clock will not retain the correct time, we cannot get into safe mode. We think the battery may need replacing, but would that give all or some of these symptoms?

He is resigned to buying a new computer but he would like to sort out this problem if possible and keep this system to network with the new one.
He has the fully licensed copy of 98SE. Any help will be really appreciated.

Regards,

Sapins.

James-286079 20:19 20 Jul 04

A duff battery would give at least some of these symptoms.

I'd also recommend running scandisk.
Boot from the Windows 98 CD-ROM and it will be a tool that is available. This will eliminate any disk corruption problem which could explain why it won't boot 98.

rickf 20:29 20 Jul 04

Probably the battery needs replacing. They are cheap so try it first.

gold 47 20:56 20 Jul 04

Put a W98 or WME floppy in and go into DOS on the A:\Prompt type scanreg /restore and enter.
You must put a space between the scanreg and forward slash.
Try this if all else fails.

Sapins 21:22 20 Jul 04

Hi uppyjc, rickf and gold 47, we have tried booting from the 98 CD but that will not work now. It did once boot from the 98CD and he chose "repair" which it did and then ran ok.

The other symptom which may have some bearing is that there are 3 lights on the front, one is Orange to show the system is working, one is Red to show hard drive activity and the third is green to show the power is on. These lights come on in varying combinations, when the Orange is flashing, which means the system is suspended, the system will not boot at all and then the Red light goes out, when it manages to get to the stages of booting up which I have mentioned these lights go into various combinations e.g. Orange off, red off, green on, or orange on steady, red on, green on, or green only on. After switching off at the mains and leaving it for various periods of time it will sometimes boot as I outlined in my first post, but we cannot get it past the desktop and the screen goes black at any stage of the boot process, such as it is! I am beginning to suspect the on switch may be faulty as well but that would be a coincidence I think.

I will advise him to buy a new battery tomorrow and see if that solves the problem and I will then post back to let you know if it does, if it turns out to be just the battery I will advise him to follow the advice re running scandisk and scanreg, in the meantime thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Sapins.

Diodorus Siculus 21:31 20 Jul 04

It may be a hard disk failure that is coming on - the fact that it ran ok from the repair would suggest some sort of corruption is creeping in.

Having a spare hdd is useful if nothing else is gained from this...

woodchip 21:34 20 Jul 04

New mobo battery, and a Dicky PSU

woodchip 21:44 20 Jul 04

Mobo battery will not stop windows loading. unless it's completely flat

fuzzyone 21:54 20 Jul 04

Sapins,

have you got any other memory module you could try with the pc?.

If you can try this, and it doesn't work, then as Diodorus Siculus and woodchip have already said, it looks like the problem is with either the psu or hard drive.

Sapins 22:28 20 Jul 04

Thank you for your input Diodorus Siculus, woodchip and fuzzyone, a new battery first and then if that doesn't solve it I don't think it is worth spending money on it that could go towards a new system. There is one spare slot, but he has no other memory to try. Hopefully I will be able to tell you all tomorrow if a new battery is the answer.

Thanks again all of you.

woodchip 22:34 20 Jul 04

To Try PSU try removing some load from it uncouple the CD Power cable etc. to see if it will load

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…