98lite and home network/internet access?

soy 15:20 31 Dec 03

Hi,

Having read various articles, I have come to the conclusion is that the best performance is gained by removing windows Explorer from the system.

If this is so, Would one be able to access Internet via a router? I'v set up a router combined with a network hub (becuase the router has only 1 port) so that both my PC's can access the internet. This was done by telling IE to auto Detect internet access.

If IE was removed, How would a third party browser such as Netscape know where to access internet from?

Out of the options 98lite gives, which options would be necessary to keep for a home newtork/router to work?

I hope you understand what i'm saying.

Thanks soy

soy 17:16 31 Dec 03

<bump>

Rennaissance 17:34 31 Dec 03

I don't think it is possible to remove internet explorer / windows explorer, why would you want to do this, if you dont mind me asking. But internet sharing should work on any browser, its the settings of your router and ethernet adapters you should be concerned with.

soy 20:32 31 Dec 03

I'm thinking of using a program called 98lite which allows you to unistall components including Explorer.

But before I purchase 98lite, I just want to make sure whether internet access through a router is still possible with the explorer removed.

leo49 20:49 31 Dec 03

Of course you can - the essence of 98lite is that you choose the components you wish to install.You don't have to stick to the Chubby,Overweight,etc cofigurations which Shane gives as examples.If you want to use it on the internet then obviously you'd install the connection components.

leo49 20:53 31 Dec 03

If you wanted reassurance you could initially install IE ,install your alternative browser[Mozilla or whatever] which would pick up the settings,and then uninstall IE.

SEASHANTY 21:53 31 Dec 03

Just be aware that many websites require the software contained in I.E. to load their pages. By uninstalling I.E. you may not be able to load some web pages you might later need!

soy 13:04 01 Jan 04

OK thanks guys,

Will give 98lite a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…