98 v xp

Pau! J 19:10 29 Jul 03

what such i do upgrade to xp or keep 98.
all the drivers arent being writen for 98 anymore etc.
does xp not slow the games and internet down though.

Newuser1241 19:23 29 Jul 03

From my little limited usage of xp, stick with 98. I would think that as per usual Microsoft e.g. you need more of everything to get performance from the new OS. same system running the two software 98 would be quicker. Mind you I get fed up waiting for it all to start.

Confab 19:25 29 Jul 03

What's your PC spec?

bremner 19:35 29 Jul 03

From my extensive use of XP there is no comparison.

So long as the specification of your machine is sufficient then you should get XP.

accord 19:37 29 Jul 03

XP by miles, had it for 9 months and never had a blue screen of death. It is based on W2K and NT and as such is more stable than 98.

out of interest: my 4 year old UMAX scanner just plugs and plays, so not all hardware needs upgrading to be XP complaint.

The Sack 19:49 29 Jul 03

I ran XP on a PIII 500 with 196MB of RAM and it was perfectly ok.

rawprawn 19:52 29 Jul 03

Xp is much more stable than Win 98, as bremner say;s there is no comparison as long as your PC has the spec to run it,

Djohn 20:01 29 Jul 03

Yep! XP is excellent. j.

If your machine is not able to run Windows XP then you are running a realtively "old" spec. While this might suit you it does tend to indicate that shortly you will be looking at upgrades. 98 is no longer being developed or drivers written for it.

No argument - sooner or later you will want / need to upgrade to XP so may as well do so now and start enjoying the best release of windows yet.

mammak 21:49 29 Jul 03

I ran 98se for 18 month,s sick of the blue screens only 63 ram, got a new comp xp pro 256 ram, wouldnt change it for the world, and by they way gave the 98 to the little un she,s only 6 , and she,s down on the xp alway,s because she says the old computer is crap Mummy and Daddy, and that,s from a 6 yr old.

I. T. Mastermind 21:57 29 Jul 03

Windows XP is the top dog here seeing as it is based on advanced Windows 2000 security which includes the NTFS filing system. Get XP!!! However I would recomend atleast a 1GHz (1000MHz) CPU with 256MB RAM for good performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…